Options

passed security+ 5/27/2015

teaboneteabone Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi

just passed with an 811 today.

background:
-not much security background
-worked as sys admin for a few years (mostly os installs, basic configuration, entry level vmware experience)
-no network exp

what i studied:
-watched all prof messer... mostly just went over my head b/c i didnt know a lot of it at a detailed level.
-used comptia certmaster (they had a buy a voucher, a retake, and access to certmaster for $390... figured why not)
-studied quizlet like crazy
-studied gcga for 48 hours before test
-never read any books... bought it but didnt use it.

while taking the test, felt like i was in hell, the questions didnt match up to quizlet at all... the labs were different from gcga.. i thought i was screwed... so i just went through it FAST with over 30 minutes left thinking i had failed.. and since i paid for a retest, oh well.. at least i know what to study for... but low and behold, i passed.

looking back, i would study gcga more and drill more of the "learn mode".

i hope this info help someone... on to the next one.

gl.

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! What's next? ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    teaboneteabone Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you.

i leaning more towards security/privacy/audit.. so probably one of the following... cisa, cissp, or cism.

maybe in the future ill go back to vmware.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Congratulations - I bought the free retake option package too, seemed like a good idea and something of an insurance policy if my study wasn't up to it on the day.

I maintain that it's a solid certification, whilst it in itself won't get you a job, it provides an excellent foundation on the topic from which you can choose the track you want to go down (Cisco/isc2/isaca etc).

The knowledgeable folks here provide some excellent guidance and experience that us newbies can learn a great deal from :)
  • Options
    lucifer_samlucifer_sam Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice one! Good work.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats Getting ready to take my Security + God's willing by early july. Keep up the studying.!!!!!!!icon_cheers.gif

Studying: Security +
    Upcoming: VCA-DCV, A+,MCSA SERVER 2012, ITIL FOUNDATIONS
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    greg9891 wrote: »
    Congrats Getting ready to take my Security + God's willing by early july. Keep up the studying.!!!!!!!icon_cheers.gif

Studying: Security +
    Upcoming: VCA-DCV, A+,MCSA SERVER 2012, ITIL FOUNDATIONS

I'm in the same boat. I take the Network+ on June 9th and I've already started reading Darril Gibson's GCGA Sec+ book and watching Keith Barker's CBT Nuggets for the test.
  • Options
    c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done! Congratulations.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job! Those tests can be nerve wrecking!
    icon_cheers.gif
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever