Options

Single package for everything? Where you take the test matter?

koankoan Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've spent some time reading the other post, what I see is there doesn't appear to be a single source of information for the A+ (and other certs).

While I'm all for a broad education I am working under a time constraint, I would appreciate information from anyone that found a single source of self study that got them through the test the first time.

In addition does it matter where you go to test? Which provider you study from?
For example studying using CBT's and taking a Pearson test, is it best to keep the test giver and the study material the same?

I took some practice test for the A+ and passed with 89%, (with 0 studying) but it can't be that easy, as I see so many people not getting it the first time.
Would like to start down the cert road but it's quite confusing for me.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    shrinskshrinsk Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the midst of obtaining an A+ cert. I've taken the 801 and passed on the first try with an 822/900 (smacking myself in the forehead when I saw the topics I erred on!). My preparation included reading Mike Meyers book as it provided a solid foundation of knowledge, however, I felt some areas were skimmed over and not exactly clear. Professor Messer's vids filled in those gaps. He gives a more direct approach to the information whereas Meyers is more...humor based? On top of that, I took advantage of Black Friday deals to cobble together a home built PC to fool around on (main computer has been a MacBook for a number of years). I'm feeling just about ready to take the 802 after about a full year of study.

Definitely use different sources as some explaining things differently and in a way that might make more sense than other sources. I'm also investigating virtual online labs for the 802 as I have no clue what the performance based questions will be like.
  • Options
    I appreciate your information, but it seems like you're telling me there is no "one source" for this test.
    I was hoping to find one book that covers everything, even the comptia site seems to offer multiple paths.
  • Options
    Moongoon762Moongoon762 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the A+ is too broad for a "one source" option. With an 89% on a first time practice test, you're in a good place. Try ExamCompass | CompTIA Practice Exams and study sections you didn't do so well on.
  • Options
    It seems deceptively simple =)
    I think I'll try a book and the Messer videos, take the 801 and see what happens.
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, that is all you should need. You may want to spring for the $10 Messer study guides, too.

Do you have any background in computers or IT? If so, you'll likely breeze through the A+ without much effort. I found the 802 to be really easy compared to the 801 where you needed to memorize a bunch of specs which is not something I do well (nor do I think anyone needs to) personally.