Options

First day in a new field

Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys and Gals. Tomorrow I will begin my new job as a security analyst. I am both excited and horrified at the same time. The security field is where I have always wanted to be, so I am excited I am finally in the door, however I am horrified of the fact that it's my first security related job and I have no idea what to expect, the idea of being the new guy who everyone scrutinize and the fear of failing.
How do you guys normally overcome these fears? It's not my first rodeo, but I guess because it's my dream job I am just overly on edge.

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Tech - How long were you employed in this past job? Are you in the NOVA area, and what industry/type of stuff does your new company do? I'm actually migrating into a security analyst role myself here in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Take a deep breath. You will be fine. Think of it as a new (hopefully, long chapter) in your life.icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Just remember that nearly everyone gets 1-3 months to settle into a new role. You have to learn their systems, their processes, and the specifics to their industry. Just soak it all in, ask any and all questions that you have, and take the time to approach things from a naive place and drop ideas for potential ways to improve things. There is a waning stance of newness as time goes on and sometimes this is the perfect outsiders POV to make things better.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck on your first day... Sounds like an exciting new adventure ahead for you.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck, you'll be fine. No one should be scrutinizing someone who is just starting, especially if it's a newer field to them. I went into the same role from a sysadmin position, don't regret it for a second.