Taking the ICND1 today.

ilovesagetilovesaget Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I take the ICDN1 tonight after work. Does anyone have any last minute advice, or things that you wish you would have done differently?

Thanks for any advice! I'll update the topic after my test to let you know how much I passed by icon_cool.gif

EDIT: Passed with a 960/1000! On to the ICND2!

Big shout out to Jeremy over at CBT Nuggets. His video series for ICND1 is fantastic.

Definitely know your subnetting too, but that should go without saying.

EDIT2: (found in a post below, but more people will see it up here)

I read the first 12 or so chapters of Odom's book before watching CBT Nuggets, and then just used the book's questions as review after that. The Nuggets were definitely my #1 learning source. The 100-101 Exam Walkthrough from CBT Nuggets with Keith Barker and the other guy (sorry forget his name) are also pretty priceless. Basically it's worth the subscription for a month or two, in my opinion.

For getting some hands-on, I got a 871w router from work, and bought 2x2950s and a 3550 off ebay. Packet tracer is more than enough to create a lab and try out configurations and show commands (you will 100% want to know your show commands).

I'll gladly answer any more questions!

EDIT: For Odom's book, the beginning of the chapter questions were actually pretty difficult, and I learned a lot from the explanations for the right/wrong answers. I learned a lot from just trying questions, and then really researching why the correct answers were correct and why the other answers were not.

You need to know the theory behind why an answer is correct to answer similar questions correctly!

Comments

• kineticfskineticfs Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just started studying for the ICND1 so I don't really have any advice for you.
    Just wanted to say good luck on your test today! :D
    Goals for 2018: AWS Developer Associate COLOR=#008000]Completed[/COLOR / Solutions Architect COLOR=#ff8c00]In Progress[/COLOR
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just took this exam last week and almost passed (801/805) but ran out of time. Do not let the time fool you during the course of the exam. You kind of have to be quick when it comes to the simulations so know your 'show' commands pretty well. I mistakenly took too much time on a question or two and it cost me dearly.
  • Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!icon_thumright.gif
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • ilovesagetilovesaget Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OP is updated! Passed!
  • Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Nice score!
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you use anything else along with cbt nuggets.
    beach5563 wrote: »
    Did you use anything else along with cbt nuggets.

I read the first 12 or so chapters of Odom's book before watching CBT Nuggets, and then just used the book's questions as review after that. The Nuggets were definitely my #1 learning source. The 100-101 Exam Walkthrough from CBT Nuggets with Keith Barker and the other guy (sorry forget his name) are also pretty priceless. Basically it's worth the subscription for a month or two, in my opinion.

For getting some hands-on, I got a 871w router from work, and bought 2x2950s and a 3550 off ebay. Packet tracer is more than enough to create a lab and try out configurations and show commands (you will 100% want to know your show commands).

I'll gladly answer any more questions!

EDIT: For Odom's book, the beginning of the chapter questions were actually pretty difficult, and I learned a lot from the explanations for the right/wrong answers. I learned a lot from just trying questions, and then really researching why the correct answers were correct and why the other answers were not.

You need to know the theory behind why an answer is correct to answer similar questions correctly!
    Thanks so much. I have been in I.T for a while. Took quite a few cisco classes years ago. I have chris bryant and was thinking of going the cbt nuggets route. I have had a couple of ccnps tell me they got icnd1 and icnd2 with cbt nuggets and a good practice test. I have packet tracer as well as 4 3640 routers. I really dont think I will need them for ICND1 though. I feel CBT nuggets would be so cool. I have the Todd Lammle book to for CCENT. Took the CCNA test years ago using his book. Did not pass but that was my fault. Anyway thanks so much. Just so much info out there. : )
    Yeah I've been in IT for a while too, and my experience with being a server admin and corporate support definitely helped with some topics. DHCP, DNS, basic IP Addressing, default gateways, etc. were all very familiar concepts. It helped grasping that foundation right away so I could get right into understanding the cisco side of things.

It sounds like you're in a similar spot so you'll be fine! icon_cool.gif
    Yea I spent a lot of time on the telecom side and then eventually positions like remote tech support/data center type stuff. Mosly monitoring web apps. Since Feb 2014 I have been doing L1 network infrastructure stuff. Pretty basic but at least im in the atmosphere. Hope to get CCENT and then maybe CCNA voice not sure. I really appreciate your help. I'm really feeling cbt nuggets with the boson tests maybe.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's a great score, congrats!
  • DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    ilovesaget, What would you recommend me to really focus on for ICND1, it is scheduled next week. I am Netacad student and I have Odom's book and watched a couple of CBT nuggets.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Dollarhyde wrote: »
    ilovesaget, What would you recommend me to really focus on for ICND1, it is scheduled next week. I am Netacad student and I have Odom's book and watched a couple of CBT nuggets.

Watch and understand this video on OSPF troubleshooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hQoqa-jItg

Know your subnetting inside and out. Subnetting.net is a great resource to get your speed up for figuring out host ranges, increments, and things like that. You'll need those skills for the exam.

Review the "Do I know this already?" questions in Odom's book. The explanations are on the DVD, or the digital version of the book. If you can answer and explain most of those you should be in good shape.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude great work! Working from Odom's book myself and seems decent so far.
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    ilovesaget wrote: »
    Watch and understand this video on OSPF troubleshooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hQoqa-jItg Know your subnetting inside and out. Subnetting.net is a great resource to get your speed up for figuring out host ranges, increments, and things like that. You'll need those skills for the exam. Review the "Do I know this already?" questions in Odom's book. The explanations are on the DVD, or the digital version of the book. If you can answer and explain most of those you should be in good shape.
    Thank you for your answer, I will do that, and inform you what happened after the exam.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________