Self study vs. bootcamp

mitchmcsemitchmcse Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is the bootcamp really that good or will the official self study material from ec-council work. I have been in the IT field for 18 years consisting of tier2 tier3 deskside support and system administration. It seems the bootcamps around here want $2600 and I would rather spend just the $400 for the self study. As far as the tools go I have some experience with various sniffers.

Comments

• TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    Personally I think the boot camps are outrageous with their prices. I think you can home study with all the right tools that are needed for the C.E.H and believe me, there's a serious amount of tools!!!!

But saying that, we don't often know how qualified these tutors are? I've not heard a great amount of feedback that's been postive.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'd definately save your bucks!!! icon_lol.gif
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • mitchmcsemitchmcse Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gbagirl, are you using the study materials from ec-council? If so is it the 4.1 version.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well I'll chime in guys and say that if you have the needed experience, the boot camp is not needed. Have you used Nmap before? If so, do you know how to use the 10 or 15 most common switches? What's the difference between Nmap syn scan and an Nmap tcp connect scan? Do you know in detail how certain exploits and viruses work (Ping of Death, Smurf Attack, etc..). Can you perform an SNMP Walk? These are the types of things you'll be expected to know. I must say that I have taken one of these boot camps when the C|EH cert first started to gain popularity. And I must say that I would've just as easily passed it without the bootcamp if I'd just gotten the official material (which I do have now). However, I happened to have a very skilled instructor (especially in application security) so the bootcamp was worth the money just for the real world tips I picked up on exploiting common software vulnerabilities left by lazy programmers.
    I have used nmap before but do not know all the switches. I have normally used GFILanguard. If the material will work instead of having to go to the bootcamp I would rather do it that way and pick up a new T60 with the money I saved from the bootcamp. Figured I could get the self study, new thinkpad T60 and pay for the test cheaper than the bootcamp. Unless of course I can get my manager to pay for the bootcamp. As of now there is only 1 class scheduled in Colorado for the week of March 13th and they have no one scheduled to attend. They need 6 people to make the class work. Who knows... if the bootcamp is better than self study and my manager will pay for it... if they have a class I may go that route... Just not holding my breath. It is nice working for IBM and getting the benefits.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Mitchmcse,

For those that have access to equipment and tools to lab some of this stuff, the self study kit is great. I did not go to a boot camp for this cert (although I wanted to)...I used the self study kit. At first glance, I thought the price of the kit was out of control, especially the shipping. But, after I went through everything and set up some cool labs, I am glad I went that route. I was able to spend more time doing tasks than I would have been able to in a week long bootcamp. I had more fun studying for this test, than I had study for any of my others. (almost 100 exams).... Buy it ...and have fun..

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    Sounds like the self study is the way to go. I do have a home network/lab setup at home... running 1 linux box, 1 2003 server, 2 xp boxes and an old windows me box...