Options

CCENT - Transcender? Tips?

RobarRobar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Quick overview, 10 years ago I took the Cisco CCNA course, 9 year ago the first half of the CCNP and 8 year ago the first half of the CCSP (part of my college courses), and last year my employer sent a bunch of us to the ICND1 training course. In college the profs said not to get a Cisco cert without actually needing it (waste of money if it expires and you didn't gain anything for it). I'm now in a spot where I've been speaking with someone that I know from another company and they're switching from Novell to MS/AD and are likely going to be creating a new position as none of their staff know MS/AD really (most are getting ready to retire). This company pays a bit extra for up to 2 of either CNA, CNE, MCSE, and Cisco certs. CNA and CNE are going to be irrelevant with the swap and I have my MCSE so I'm looking at quickly obtaining a Cisco cert.

I feel quite confident that I can freshen up my knowledge and likely have a good chance of getting my CCENT as a starting point. My friend recommended for me to use the Transcender practice exam for study material as they offer a money back promise on the material if you don't pass your exam in 6 months. Since I'm looking for just a fast refresher it sounds like a good deal to me but not sure if roughly 300 sample exam questions with answer explaination along with 350ish flash cards will be enough. While I like getting money back on the material if it doesn't help, I don't want to be out $150 for the exam.

Also, you get paper and a pencil in the exam room (may have to ask?). My friend told me to use that sheet to write down some stuff using whatever time is remaining between reading the exam instructions and starting the exam. He said to write down port numbers and subnetting (powers of 2s mostly) as examples but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on other things to jot down to make quick reference on the exam that may save time in figuring something out?

Any other thoughts are welcome but I do have the ICND1 books from my training course beside me so which I'm hoping are sufficient for reference upon hazy topics.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly I would recommend the Boson practice exams over the Transcender exams. I felt the Transcender exams didn't really help me too much.

My testing center hands out little white boards and dry erase markers. The only thing I wrote down while going in was 128, 64, 32, 16.... makes it easier for me to break down subnetting that way.
    Working on: CCNP Switch