Options

Studying Method

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
Does anyone switch up the topics they are studying to keep it interesting and not get burnt out?

So after failing the CCNA exam by about 30 points, I took a week off (yea probably shouldn't of, but it is what it is) and am ready to start at it again. I'm planning to dedicate 1 hour each night to studying. Going to be 9pm to 10pm after the wife and kid goes to sleep. It might turn into more than 1 hour some nights but just setting aside 1 hour to start. I'm thinking switching up the topic every so often to keep things interesting. Thinking of switching it up between CCNA, Sec+, Wireshark, and maybe some Python. Will probably be CCNA 3-4 times a week until my next attempt in a couple weeks though.

Anyone do this or do most people just keep their head down on one topic at a time?

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since you're close to getting your CCNA, I would recommend not switching.

If I'm studying for a cert, then I try to focus on the cert. If I'm studying for knowledge, I look at different things.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like to think it is kind of just for knowledge. I don't plan on leaving my current position for a little while (maybe next year... we'll see. They did just gave me a little raise yesterday).

The way I like to look at Certs is like I'm taking a course on a subject. It helps me stick to a subject and has an outline of what I need to learn. Then there is the test to verify my knowledge at the end. Right now, I'm not really looking at the certs like I'm going to get "X" job if I get "X" certs. My company doesn't help pay for them and doesn't seem to care much about them. If they did I would probably care more about focusing on one at a time.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    What I do is switch it up AFTER each cert, and I usually switch between technology and pleasure to avoid burnout (that I've already suffered after doing about 4 IT related certs in a row in one year). For example, after I finished my CEH, I decided to do my FL Real Estate Brokers license. Knocked that out and now I'm working on GSEC. After I pass this I'll probably spend a month on something else fun and non IT related before I start on my CISM.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    30 points from passing is a very near miss man. I'd say stay focused on the cert material and get it knocked out then jump into other stuff that interests you. Just my .02 and the methods I follow.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi