Ccna lab

Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
Hi,

I got two 48 port 3550 switches at home for my CCNA lab that are driving me crazy, the fans are so loud :)
do you recommend some smaller switc that are not that darn noicy? :)
CCNA R&S, MCSA.

Comments

• Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a 2950 and a 2960 24 port. I don't think they're too bad, not sure how loud a 3550 is though.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is why network equipment is put into rooms where nobody can generally hear them, that and security reasons :) You can try maybe putting them into a ventilated closet or something of that nature but you aren't going to really have a "more quiet" option. The fans are tiny and move a lot of air at high speeds, not much you can do about it. Your only REAL quiet option is emulations via GNS3 or VIRL.

Personally I kinda like the drone noise when I am studying to tune out other distracting noises in my house.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My lab can get pretty loud but it doesn't bother me to bad. My lab is in my tech room and I usually have my headphones on in there anyways. I don't notice too much of a noise difference between the 3560, 3550, and 2950 switches but maybe I have tuned it out. I am also the kind of guy who can't sleep well without some form of background noise though.
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Depending on how long they have been in use, they are all noisy, if I fire everything up in my lab it is like I am sitting at the airport, then turn on my two poweredge servers and it sounds like the space shuttle taking off, network equipment as a rule is noisy.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My lab is in my basement and cabled to my office. Makes for a lot of running up and down the stairs but it works.
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great question, I as well have a quite house. So putting 3 routers and 3 switches in any room or closet will make for a loud area around it. I was looking at putting my lab gear in my garage.

But I wonder if the heat (summer time) and cool temps (winter time) will cause any issues with the equipment?

I really want a lab at home, but don't have a basement or a attic that would suite. Hands on is a must for me, since my learning style leans toward it more.

I see a lot about people having their labs in their garage, just didn't know if they live in area's were climate is steady all year round?
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pretty much all switches have loud fans. But, there are some 8 port models that do not have a fan, ie 2960 or 3560. Or you could unplug the fan so it doesn't run and probably turn off the logging of those error messages. or buy some ear buds.

as far putting them in the garage or attic, your main problem is going to be humidity, ie condensation. run them all time, they will be warm (and run up your electric bill) and be just fine. Turn them off and condensation will form when it is cold out.
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    as far putting them in the garage or attic, your main problem is going to be humidity, ie condensation. run them all time, they will be warm (and run up your electric bill) and be just fine. Turn them off and condensation will form when it is cold out.

Sounding more like a spare closet will be the best fit for my Lab.

Thanks for the info.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • IStudyCiscoIStudyCisco Member Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    May I suggest you explore a wireless access point connected to a terminal server. This would free you to place the lab somewhere the noise won't be an issue. It also allows you to lab from anywhere within range of the access point. Just my 2 cents.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Might not be a bad idea also building your own enclosure to reduce noise. Could be a cheap and versatile option. A material such as wood will offer more sound deadening properties as apposed to something made of metal that generally reflects sound. I would just ensure it has proper positive air flow intake and exhausting.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • ebohlmanebohlman Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fans get noisier as they get older (worn-out bearings), and most 3550s have seen a lot of use. You can get replacement fan kits on ebay or similar places; it's pretty easy to replace fans (only a screwdriver or two needed) and it often makes a big, big, difference in the noise level.
  • TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There have been times at work when old switches' fans were simply unplugged. Not the greatest solution, but given that in a learning lab the equipment isn't going to be supporting production use it might be okay.

One of my 2950 switches had a noisy 40mm fan, and I found that when I took the fan out and reoriented the housing so a different housing side was up the fan got much quieter. That's at least a free thing to try assuming that it isn't a squirrel-cage fan. My 2851 had a loud 80mm fan, I ended up picking up a quiet fan (had to swap a couple of pins on the header) and it moves air, but I had to disable the low-RPM error in the switch as it spins slower than the switch wants it to spin. Given that these are all lab devices if I could get a great deal on quiet 80mm and 40mm fans I'd be half-tempted to just replace them all and see how hot the equipment runs under such low load.