Having trouble describing my skills. Help?

XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
Last year, I got accepted into a networking program that was 100% paid for, and I've been working an internship for the past seven months. It was supposed to be a couple weeks, but things happened and we got it extended. I get to learn a lot. But I'm not to sure how to word it on my resume.

Basically,I work at a NOC as an intern. And I work on two different projects. On one of them,I work with field engineers who go on site, replace servers and network equipment, copy/paste config files on switches and routers. Sometimes we get contractors who don't know what they're doing, and I have to advise them on the cabling for the topology and even take over their screen to load the config files myself if they're not familiar with IOS (they should, but not all of them are). Then I verify the work was done, then I pass it along one level higher to re-confirm it's done. I work with Cisco for both networks and servers, and we use VMWare for migration. The VMWare migration is just me running scripts that were pre-written, and checking some menus in VMWare if it failed and correcting it if necessary.

Other project deals with Aruba and APs. Same deal. Field engineers go out, cable, and call me if they have issues. Sometimes it deals with AP locations if they won't go in a place their floor plan says. When they're done I verify through Arubu AirWave Management that it was done. Then I send it one level up and they verify. Then we let the techs go.

It's like, I feel I have a lot of hands on experience, but I'm not making config files or anything. Could someone help me summarize this with bullet points? I have my CCENT now, and going for my CCNA-R&S in two weeks. Hoping to start job hunting soon. I got a permanent offer to work in the NOC, but I wouldn't learn as much as the projects I'm working on now, so I turned it down.

Comments

• LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Literally, put what you wrote in your post bullet points. Both projects are essentially the same that they can be grouped together. Arubas and Ciscos are both at their core, network equipment.

Another thing I can seriously suggest you do is learning specifically *why* you're doing the things you're doing. I.e. what the config files are doing, and why. Maybe fire up GNS3 and attempt to replicate some of the configs while tweaking different settings. Then do bits and pieces from scratch, like setting up a VLAN or routing.

Why? You can already claim experience with Cisco and VMware. The important distinction is whether you actually know how to do the configs, or were a monkey following instructions (I mean this in the most positive possible way). Obviously, the first is much more valuable.

Anyway, here goes:

Network Intern, XYZ Company

- Performed installation or replacement of network nodes, including routers, switches, and Aruba access points
    - Configured Cisco devices in accordance with company standard layouts and configurations
    - Assisted independent contractors, advising them on topology, technical documentation, and iOS command line
    - Validated networks and individual device configurations to ensure proper functionality.
    - Performed VMware migrations #expand here to include what exactly it is you migrated, such as "VMware migrations of virtualized Cisco networking nodes"
  • XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No offense taken. I know it feels like I am a monkey following directions at times. I never thought about loading it in GNS3. I'll have to give it a crack this weekend. Might be good practice before my R&S test in a couple weeks. If there's one thing I learned about this project, is I know when a tech messed up and copy/pasted the wrong config on the wrong switch. VLAN mismatches. VLAN mismatches everywhere! Have to blow out the device and put a full config on them. <.<

Thanks for the bullet summary. That's a lot more precise than what I currently have. That helps a lot!
  • IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with LeBroke. Know why you are doing some task and the reasoning behind it. Once you know that your role become clear.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i have a similar problem. I'm not good at describing what I do in an HR friendly way.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark