Options

CompTIA Security+ Training necessary?

harshoneharshone Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I am new to IT Security. I received a bachelors degree in IT recently, and I want to further advance my career before I can get a decent job. I decided to get Security+ certification or CEH first.

Since I have very basic IT Security knowledge so far, I'm thinking Security+ training would be better to start with to cover the absolute basics then move to CEH. Feel free to let me know if you feel there is a better approach or different exam path.

Now my question is.. Would online training be sufficient for Security+ or would an actual class be better? Of course, I'm by no means rich so actual class training would be expensive, but the option is there. Friend of mine that took same IT major as me at same university said it's an easy certification (I'm pretty good at taking tests too).

If I did choose online training, where would you recommend I get it that is both affordable and decent?

Thanks!

edit: Just FYI, I have no certifications so far. All I have is a Bachelors in IT (there is no focus on a single topic).

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have a degree in IT you should be familiar with what Sec+ covers. To be honest, studying out of a book is more than enough to pass the test so long as you focus and cover the material. I'd recommend the Sybex Security+ study guide. I wouldn't recommend anyone pay for a course strictly for Security+.

Not sure if you are aware or not, but you need verified experience to attempt the CEH exam.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    harshoneharshone Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    If you have a degree in IT you should be familiar with what Sec+ covers. To be honest, studying out of a book is more than enough to pass the test so long as you focus and cover the material. I'd recommend the Sybex Security+ study guide. I wouldn't recommend anyone pay for a course strictly for Security+.

Not sure if you are aware or not, but you need verified experience to attempt the CEH exam.

I probably won't do CEH yet then. That can wait a year or 2.

Anyways, do you think there is any benefit of getting A+ certification or Network+ before Security+? I know all the stuff for A+ cert exam, but I never thought about giving the exam for whatever reason.
  • Options
    LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    harshone wrote: »
    I probably won't do CEH yet then. That can wait a year or 2.

Anyways, do you think there is any benefit of getting A+ certification or Network+ before Security+? I know all the stuff for A+ cert exam, but I never thought about giving the exam for whatever reason.

I did Security+ as my first certification. While I think A+ and Network+ would be nice, it comes down to a matter of resources for me, and picking and choosing what I think will help most in getting the kind of work I want. Since I'm working on CCNA and since I don't really want to do computer repair again, I decided to forgo A+ and Network+. Plus it saves me money as I'm unemployed at present.

I looked into the CEH as well, and you can do it without industry experience, but you have to take an approved training course. The ones I looked at were around $2000 for online (includes the test price) or $3000 for in person. Way too much for me now, but it's a possibility in the future. So you can do it right away if you have the money for a course, although I'm not sure how helpful it would actually be without experience to back it.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Most of us have started with Sec+ and have moved up from there. Probably the next step for you would be a help desk type of role. You'll probably have to look at coughing up some money at some point to push yourself ahead. You'll get to a point in your career where your job will pay for your education/certs. But for now, get yourself a spot (although it's not the most ideal one) save that money and apply that towards your education.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't have to have the two years of experience for the CEH if you take their training. I think their online training costs around $1800. Maybe a bit more.
  • Options
    jaxwinston35jaxwinston35 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are going to take Security+ you might as well get Network+ too. Network+ isn't much of a leap from Security+, IMO. Youtube was enough for me when getting ready for the Security+. It is pretty simple although you will want to have an idea of what to expect and review recommended areas before jumping in.