Options

PennState Online: Masters Homeland Security in Information Security?

RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
Have any members here attended Pennstate online and taken their Homeland Security graduate program?

Link to it

Looking for feedback from anyone who either considered it, plans on considering it or attended something similar.

Comments

• Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    There is a user on here named "jamthat" who is attending Penn State World and he is in the MPS in Information Science cyber security and info assurance grad program. I don't start the program for another couple of months, but he can atleast tell you of the online experience with Penn State World.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    There is a user on here named "jamthat" who is attending Penn State World and he is in the MPS in Information Science cyber security and info assurance grad program. I don't start the program for another couple of months, but he can atleast tell you of the online experience with Penn State World.

Why did you choose it over others?
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    Why did you choose it over others?

Hey,

I'm planning on writing an actual review once I'm a bit further in - lots of people asking about it. I chose PSU because cost wasn't a factor (most of it is covered by employer), I've always regretted not going there for undergrad (I come from a long line of PSU grads), and World Campus was highly recommended from a few ex-coworkers at a big 4 consulting firm. Tons of PSU degrees floating around there.

Currently taking IST554, just finished my 3rd week. It's a mix of people in the IS concentrations (cyber, EA, etc) and other programs taking it as an elective. Some are experienced, some are not. This is a pretty group-heavy course and we use VoiceThread (annoying) for presentations and mostly Yammer for most communication. Course content is pretty up-to-date and you're provided with a virtual lab via vsphere. My instructor is Ryoo and he's always available and provides pretty good feedback for everything, same with the TA.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that around 20%-ish of the people in my course hold very high-level positions at some very recognizable companies. Not sure if that's a representation of the whole World Campus grad student body or if they all landed in my course, but it's pretty cool.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

edit: ~20% of the people that posted an optional self-intro on the course page. This number may be lower..but either way they're here and providing some pretty valuable insight. Good networking and learning opportunity :)