Options

Quick Cert for WGU?

ira.aira.a Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Despite my experience, I'm getting the "we can admit you without an IT cert or an Associates in IT". I have a Bachelor's in Arts already. Another counselor tried to pitch the Master's in IT Mgmt at me. (Not what I'm looking to do and it has no certs or anything to back it. I'm trying to get into the Bachelor's of Software Development.)

I'm basically looking for a cheap cert that I can throw at the admissions people. My job won't cover certs, but it'll pay for the degree since it's directly relevant to what I'm doing now.

I know MSFT was running a deal for a while that if you deployed an app through the Windows Store, was able to explain what you did to an engineer, and could pass one exam, you'd get certified, but I don't know if that's the case anymore.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check their website if they accept CIW certs. If do, take the easy Web Development one. If not then get MTA operating systems. That last one can be had with only a week of studying if you are even somewhat familiar with troubleshooting Windows.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here's a list of transferable certs that WGU currently accepts:

Transferable IT Certifications | WGU Online IT Certification

Which WGU degree are you interested in? I recommend obtaining a cert that is either part of your degree plan or a cert that will waive one or more classes in your degree plan. A WGU enrollment counselor (or someone on these forums) should be able to provide you a copy of the updated WGU transfer guidelines document.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A+ or Net+ would be the easiest that you would actually want that are part of a class. If you have any knowledge of IT at all.