Best classroom led training?

cledford3cledford3 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have the opportunity to go to classroom lead training - provided for by my employer. I realize that the CBK has changed and that most training offerings are in the process of catching up - but I need to take the class in the near term. Are there any recommendations on the best instructor led training options? I've heard it is all pretty dry and am guessing that a big differentiating factor would be add-on/bonus resources. I've heard that the SANS training is good due to the access you get to resources through taking the training with them.

Any feedback or suggestions on who the is best to go with?

Thanks,

-Calvin

Comments

• abelamoralesabelamorales Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have heard a lot of good things about SANS training, however I do not have any experience with them. I did my CISSP training with InfoSec Institute and was able to learn a lot and help close any gaps that existed within the material for me.

Prior to attending the training, you should sign up for CCCure's videos as they are excellent, but long. The one thing I hate about the videos is the inability to change the playback speed to 1.5 or whatever is comfortable... With that said, the training itself is excellent and helped me get into the CISSP mindset.
  • analystanalyst Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SANS training is amazing. If you have the funding, do it.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Haven't taken the SANS CISSP class but being through 3 of their courses I can absolutely vouch for the quality. If they can swing the $4-5k it's a great option.
  • !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Haven't taken the SANS CISSP class but being through 3 of their courses I can absolutely vouch for the quality. If they can swing the $4-5k it's a great option.
    Agreed the real life scenarios that you get out of SANS is what you need to get the mindset ready for the exam. Not sure how they are going with their new curriculum. Recently saw a video from Eric Cole and from memory at the early stage they had seven people take their MGT414 that prepares for CISSP and all had passed. Don't quote on the numbers but I think I am close. I would not be surprised if they kept their scale above 90%.
  • justjenjustjen Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    !nf0s3cure wrote: »
    Agreed the real life scenarios that you get out of SANS is what you need to get the mindset ready for the exam. Not sure how they are going with their new curriculum. Recently saw a video from Eric Cole and from memory at the early stage they had seven people take their MGT414 that prepares for CISSP and all had passed. Don't quote on the numbers but I think I am close. I would not be surprised if they kept their scale above 90%.
    I cannot comment on the updated version of the SANS course (post-April 15), but I did use the previous version of the SANS MGT-414 course to prep for the CISSP exam. Although I felt that it was not quite up-to-par with the high-level of quality I had experienced with other SANS courses, I definitely agree it was still excellent preparation for the CISSP exam mindset, when combined with years of real-life experience.