Options

VCAP 5.5 still worth it?

JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Or should we wait until they release 6? I don't believe I'd be able to upgrade VCP5 to VCAP6 anyway without taking VCP6 first right?

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There won't be a VCAP6 - This has been changed to VCIX, which now required two exams, the implementation and design one.

So no, if you are VCP5, you won't be able to get to VCIX6 via VCP5, you will either have to be VCP6 to start with, or VCAP5 in order to go down the VCIX6 route.

If VCIX6 (or as you say, VCAP6) is your goal, I'd wait until VCP6 is GA, then take VCP6, then both VCIX Exams (Admin + Design) - which then gives you the "new VCAP" - or VCIX6-DCV (or CMA or NV - whicever you prefer).

VMware now also has the Elite status - which is where you need to hold multiple VCIX'.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    One of the reasons I'm pushing to get my CCNA so soon is cause I still find the VCAP5-DCA valid. 6 will be a while before it's implemented cause it's so new.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are a VCP 5 already and have 1-2 years experience, gun for it. It'll teach you more than you think and the knowledge gained is invaluable.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    kendr1ckkendr1ck Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA is definitely good to have, even if you mostly deal with virtualization. It teaches core networking and troubleshooting principals that you can apply to almost anything in IT.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    My CCNA prep plus 3 year in JOAT's taught me the skills I needed to deploy a $120k* (recently just bought new switches, a L3 stack, and 150 Terminal Services licenses and a Cisco Controller *= initially 55k but with the recent hardware it's just over 120k) IT overhaul solo, not sure of many VM people that can do Systems/VMware/Networking with decent Sonicwalls configs comfortably.. But having recent CCNA knowledge definitely helped with network design and it showing now cause of the speed of the fabric.

In-fact recently I'm running into resource contention at my current employer cause people are jamming buttons on the ERP more often because it's been responsive and because I didn't plan for this much growth so quickly...

even though some on here would probably tell me otherwise, I still don't think of myself as an Expert I think I'm like Tier 1/2 even though some would probably object to this notion. I'm super hard on myself most times.