Options

CCNA Hardware

abelamoralesabelamorales Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just passed the CISSP and now want to tackle my weakest domain, networking. I purchased the Chris Bryant videos's for CCNA and Security, however just wanted to get some insight as to what everyone uses or recommends from a hardware perspective to setup a lab.

I have heard of a couple of different software simulation tools that can be used for lab purposes, however not sure what the learning curve on the software may be, anyone know? Anyway, I apologize in advance for the amateur questions, however I'd like to knock this certification out in the next 3-4 months.

Thanks in advance!

AM

Comments

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    If you do a search of the forms, you will find hundreds of threads about what you should get for lab equipment. I really wish the moderation team here would do a thread or a sticky on lab equipment, it would answer a lot of questions that get asked over and over again!
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No need to get real hardware. Packet Tracer or Boson should suffice for CCNA
  • Options
    MrPieMan82MrPieMan82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the CISSP and now want to tackle my weakest domain, networking. I purchased the Chris Bryant videos's for CCNA and Security, however just wanted to get some insight as to what everyone uses or recommends from a hardware perspective to setup a lab.

I have heard of a couple of different software simulation tools that can be used for lab purposes, however not sure what the learning curve on the software may be, anyone know? Anyway, I apologize in advance for the amateur questions, however I'd like to knock this certification out in the next 3-4 months.

Thanks in advance!

AM

You can learn configuration using emulators, but you can get into some trouble if you have an interview and they put an actual router or switch right in front of you.
  • Options
    whizzerwhizzer Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recommend GNS3 for doing most lab stuff. It can't do full blown switching. It has a dumb down version of a switch. I'll give you my 2c on real hardware, since I just bought some pieces.

For either router or switch, try to get something that will run IOS ver 15. The memory requirements are much larger for ver 15, so some devices wont run it. I.E. the 1841 I bought can't run it, not enough flash and DRAM.

I got a couple 3560 switches, the 24-TS and 48-TS. These both have 32G of flash and I was able to install ver 15 on it. When searching for hardware, I would look to see if it has 15 install already or look on the Cisco site and see what the memory requirements are.
  • Options
    You can run IOS ver. 15 on the 1841, you just have to upgrade the memory, which I did on my 1841's for less than $20 for 3 of them. I am also running Cisco branded 128 mb CF cards in them, that I purchased for about $3.00 each. The 1841 is a great router for CCNA studies, relatively inexpensive, and cheap to install the required memory for IOS ver. 15
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    ... The 1841 is a great router for CCNA studies, relatively inexpensive, and cheap to install the required memory for IOS ver. 15

It's also quiet, which, trust me, will be the biggest selling point if you plan to keep it on your desk.
  • Options
    davenull wrote: »
    It's also quiet, which, trust me, will be the biggest selling point if you plan to keep it on your desk.

Yup, I hate turning my 2500 series routers on! Throw in a couple of switches and a power edge server and the wife runs for the hills!
  • Options
    abelamoralesabelamorales Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. One of my friends suggested that I only need one switch and three routers for my lab. He mentioned that he would lend me 3 routers and 1 switch (2890). Once I get back from out of town in 3 weeks, I'll let you guys know about my setup.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are going for the ICND2 yes? If so you will need more than one switch to do Spanning Tree Protocol labs.