Options

Any word on incoming changes to the WGU programs?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm starting to get the ball rolling with enrollment and am just wondering if there are any changes worth mentioning coming up or perhaps a new degree program someone might have gotten insight on.
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started a month ago and the catalog was changed.
    The biggest changes I saw was no more Linux+, Project+ or a programming course. This is just my experience going back from the 2013 B.S. IT - Security
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless I'm not reading your post correctly, it looks like the L+ and P+ are still part of the security BS.
    Online IT Security Degree | Information Security Degree | WGU College of Information Technology
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    According to my mentor, I am not taking them now, and nothing has changed from when I stopped going to when I started again.
    Maybe there was a glitch in their system, but I have two management courses now that are proctored with their test. The only certs I will be receiving are CCNA and CCNA Security, then I will be done.

2 management courses
    ICND1
    ICND2
    CCNA Security
    Capstone Project

She said my Network+ class with be dropped once I pass ICND1 and 2, which is a bonus.

Summary:
    When I left school I knew I had to take those cert exams, when I started again, for some reason, they are not required, so I assume that they were removed from the curriculum. I could be totally wrong, so take what I said with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's very odd, I finished WGU less than a year ago and they had just changed to a whole new plan for the security BS, which still included the 2 CompTIA certs I mentioned that are still shown on their webpage. Would be very strange for you to graduate with a BS in security and not have you at least be required to take the linux+ and project+.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just got off the phone with my student mentor and asked whether or not they were getting rid of the Linux+ and Project+ classes. She said that she hadn't heard that, though she did mention that, at the end of August, all students will get the 103/104 Linux+ exams. I would be bummed if they were to get rid of the Project+ class. I am hoping to use it the class to satisfy the education requirements for the CAPM certification.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The general trend is that they removed the Microsoft MTA certificates because it is cheaper for them to supply their own material and tests for equivalent educational classes. These have been discussed previously to no distinct side but the general consensus is that its mostly useful for those who have little or no career experience and need that advantage for their first or second job. Beyond that, the return for these certificates is moot, especially once you receive higher tier certificates.

Based on conversation with my mentor, he noted that students in more rural areas or less high tech tend to be more displeased with the previous testing methods as some would travel 100+ miles to get to a testing center. Playing devils advocate, it behooves them to be more inclusive and offer their own in-house online proctored exams instead of forcing students to make day long arrangements just to take a single test.

Comptia is far to established as a foundation certification company for them to drop entirely. Especially with a desire for students to proceed into the master program, taking away Project+ isn't inline with what i have seen of the company. I would not be surprised with the more focused attention to certifications applicable to the individual programs but not much more than already has been done.