10 Highest-paying IT Security Jobs (sigh)

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
CIO - 10 Highest Paying IT Security Jobs

I really hate articles like these. There's no disclaimer of where they are getting these outlandish figures from, but I'm sure they have to be the most senior of people in these roles and the comp must include health, bonuses, stock options, etc, and even then, I'm not convinced they are anywhere close to realistic.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "based on average salary data from Dice.com clients' job postings"
    .....I rarely see salaries posted on Dice
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd presume these are ... optimistic guesstimates.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    I don't think they look very outlandish, at least not for someplace like the Bay Area. These are mostly management level positions. I have a friend who is a global information security director at a major tech company, and he earns way more than this survey estimates for that position. An entry level SOC analyst in this area can pull between 90 and 120. By the time an entry level analyst had the experience to perform some of these roles, I'd expect those levels of income. It's also why the average rent here is $2800/month, and a 3 bedroom ranch goes for $1.3 million. I'm glad to be moving to Texas later this month.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    This is a good list, gives me motivation to move forward, maybe?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    speaking of dice, that's still around?
    Sheesh
    I had ZERO luck with dice.com. It's almost as bad as Monster
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I don't think they look very outlandish, at least not for someplace like the Bay Area. These are mostly management level positions. I have a friend who is a global information security director at a major tech company, and he earns way more than this survey estimates for that position. An entry level SOC analyst in this area can pull between 90 and 120. By the time an entry level analyst had the experience to perform some of these roles, I'd expect those levels of income. It's also why the average rent here is $2800/month, and a 3 bedroom ranch goes for $1.3 million. I'm glad to be moving to Texas later this month.

You can make these salaries in the mid-west. I know first hand...
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    These salaries may be achievable, but show me the bell curve on how many people in these positions get paid like that. I can't stand these types of articles with no data to back up the numbers. At least give a mean and median.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    These are for CIO level people and those in management roles.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Lost me when I saw "dice.com".
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Anyone here been in the tech field since 99? I see Cyber Security certifications going the route of Microsoft certifications ASAP as people attempt to "paper cert" in order to get a high paying job regardless of whether they actually know how to do or are passionate about the job... I see it where I work right now, a bunch of people who just came to cyber security because that is where the money is...

Certifications are nice but if you don't know what you are doing, it will be found out real quick...
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    Anyone here been in the tech field since 99? I see Cyber Security certifications going the route of Microsoft certifications ASAP as people attempt to "paper cert" in order to get a high paying job regardless of whether they actually know how to do or are passionate about the job... I see it where I work right now, a bunch of people who just came to cyber security because that is where the money is...

Certifications are nice but if you don't know what you are doing, it will be found out real quick...

That is kind of why certifications have always been just a way to get to the "interview" portion of the hiring process and why some people complain they don't get paid a lot when they have X certifications.

As far as the article, I don't see a big deal about the salaries. Like TheForce pointed out, these are mostly CIO and top management positions, yes, they get paid a lot.
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    These are for CIO level people and those in management roles.

Maybe, all I know is that you can get into the high six figures by working with the sales group as a technical support person. So you don't necessarily have to go the "traditional" route.
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Maybe, all I know is that you can get into the high six figures by working with the sales group as a technical support person. So you don't necessarily have to go the "traditional" route.

Really, that's cool. So do mean like a Sales Engineer/Architect or someone supporting the Sales Engineer/Architect?
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□

Yes. Working in a profit center (sales) usually pays better than working in a cost center (operations).
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Philz and Force

Agree with Philz, I know plenty of people who work in sales support and tech support roles in specific technologies that make well over 100,000 base in the midwest, with large bonuses to go with that nice base.

My BFF (Cheesy on purpose) works for an AMI company and makes 105,000 base with a 55% annual bonus off his gross.

I believe getting vertical and deep in a hurry is risky, but the most profitable.
    Damn, I've been doing the wrong thing then lol.
    N2IT wrote: »

I believe getting vertical and deep in a hurry is risky, but the most profitable.

I could take this sentence so many ways icon_razz.gif
    I could take this sentence so many ways icon_razz.gif

Lol I was about to say that too.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    N2IT wrote: »
    I believe getting vertical and deep in a hurry is risky.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    meh
  • Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is the problem with salary threads like this. If you have 10 people and one makes $1 million dollars and the other nine make only $50k then the avg salary is $145k so this is completely pointless since majority of the folks making $50k will never ever see anywhere close to $145k, that amount would be life changing for them. The only salary stats that I will actually trust is when they start removing the outliers until then these are meaningless.
    WilliamK99 wrote: »

That's been my worry too, but honestly I feel it will hurt the lower end of InfoSec than the more experienced folks. Experienced, skilled, and knowledgeable InfoSec pros who can prove their expertise will always be a hot comodity in my opinion. However I don't want to test that theory so I am going to be moving more towards a position that creates value, rather than a pure operational role. Kind of along the line of N2IT and Philz.
    What is wrong with moving to a job field that pays well? A field that is booming and unemployment rates are non existent, sounds like something many people would like to do. I for one actually like security, and oh by the way it just happens to pay well:D
    What is wrong with moving to a job field that pays well? A field that is booming and unemployment rates are non existent, sounds like something many people would like to do. I for one actually like security, and oh by the way it just happens to pay well:D

Nothings wrong with it, but InfoSec has become the new hot career and everyone and their mama wants in now, so on the "entry level" of InfoSec, it's going to get crowded by people with lower InfoSec certs trying to break in.
    I think the security field will continue to grow for a very long time. Microsoft represents a specific technology vs security where this is a specific field and as long as we continue to get hacked the security field will always be in high demand. I really do not see the related certs loosing any desirability.

My only issue with people moving to security and not having any desire to learn more or move up because they are happy with the salary and don't want to learn anything else. Some of these people would be coming from help desk or desktop support and most likely doubled their salary, if you don't want to keep learning then this field is not for you.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Now the questions what can we do to get into that field? :)
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    That's been my worry too, but honestly I feel it will hurt the lower end of InfoSec than the more experienced folks. Experienced, skilled, and knowledgeable InfoSec pros who can prove their expertise will always be a hot comodity in my opinion. However I don't want to test that theory so I am going to be moving more towards a position that creates value, rather than a pure operational role. Kind of along the line of N2IT and Philz.

What kind of position are you referring to by one that "creates value"? Developing applications for companies? Sales position?
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Nothings wrong with it, but InfoSec has become the new hot career and everyone and their mama wants in now, so on the "entry level" of InfoSec, it's going to get crowded by people with lower InfoSec certs trying to break in.

This should be a good thing, it will be easier to make yourself look good when you are surrounded by folks who suck.
    What kind of position are you referring to by one that "creates value"? Developing applications for companies? Sales position?

Typical value add positions are roles that provide the organization with a cash flow that is x above your salary. Typical sales engagements are 10x a salary. In the case of my role its 100x my salary but then I work for a huge organization. It's all about the cash flow!
    For anyone in security, you have to ask yourself, would you still be in/go after security jobs if the pay was more inline with say.....a typical mid-level sys admin/network admin relative to your area?
    So you have to ask yourself, would you still be in/go after security jobs if the pay was more inline with say.....a typical mid-level sys admin/network admin relative to your area?

Um no, I wouldn't go after any job below 100k