Options

Job Dilemma

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
The time has come for me to start moving on. While I enjoy the people I work with, the agency is getting worse and will be holding me to standards that I would be unable to meet. I heard back again from the company I had to say no to initially due to some family issues and will be doing the initial interview next week. My boss asked me not too long ago that if I decided to leave, that I just give him a heads up. He's a great boss and I do want to give him that courtesy. The dilemma is that we are in the midst of a huge project and honestly it would be difficult to complete it without me. I'm not saying that it couldn't be done, but our manpower is almost 0. I've been documenting as I go, but there are a lot of unknowns involved with the project so it is just about impossible to go without leaving them in the lurch. To add another wrinkle my boss is actually going on vacation for two weeks starting Monday.

I've definitely learned a lot and can continue to do so, but the job was not what I was brought in to do. Also, besides the standard steps, there are no big raises nor a chance to be promoted (there is basically a promotion freeze and the best one can hope for is a temp title with no raise nor retro just the extra work). Finally, there is no money for school and it's a battle to get required training.

So the dilemma is do I let my boss know tomorrow (before his vacation)? I tend to think I am in between a rock and a hard place because either I wait and then there is a slight chance that he comes back and I put my two weeks in. Or I tell him and then he has to deal with issues on his vacation because I tend to think there will be some waves that need to be managed.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    So your in the middle of a huge project and have limited manpower yet your boss is leaving for a two week vacation? I think that about sums it up.

Your under no obligation to tell anyone your job hunting. There is ZERO loyalty these days. You have to look out for ole #1.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I understand he is a good boss, but why tell him you "might" be leaving, sounds like he already has an idea you are looking if he is asking you for a heads up about it... I'd just hold off until you have a job in place. No need to worry your boss about something that might not actually happen.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Can you try to get a start date set to where you can put in your notice as soon as he returns? Also I agree with BerkshireHerd, the fact that you're undermanned and in the middle of a huge project but your boss is taking a vacation is all you need to know right there...
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Tell him once you get an offer. Ask for more than 2 weeks with the new company (when ever you get to that point) if you feel some kind of moral obligation and let them know.
    It does not have to be just 2 weeks notice, some people give a month. But always once you have signed the new offer.
    meh
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think once you have acquired your next position give notice. He's going on vacation so no reason to damper his trip... just put in your notice when you have gotten your offer. The situation makes it more complex, however following standard protocol of 2-weeks when you have signed offer letter keeps it simple for your sake and theirs.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Grinch - Always have something ready to go and in place before you move on from this job. As much as you are sick and tired of the current situation, it would do you no good to quit w/o having something in place. What are you lookin to do job wise? I might have something up your alley.

PM me when you get a chance.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah if he is a good boss don't damper his trip, let him enjoy if at all possible. I agree though if you are ready to move on them rip that band aid off in one pull.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Tell him nothing.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Wait for the offer than give notice and move on. As others have mentioned, there is no loyalty. Look out for yourself and family.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tell him nothing.

My sentiments exactly. I also concur with what some of the other people have said.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Grinch just curious how long have you been at this position?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks guys! No where near the offer stage as of yet and I can agree with holding off till it comes to that point. As for my boss taking a vacation, he only goes once a year and it is tough to coordinate it (we have a very weird structure). Plus he lets me take time whenever I need to so I can't fault the guy for wanting to have a break.

I would hit my two year mark in August. It started as an all policy related position and sort of blew up into a policy plus full on technical role.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So your in the middle of a huge project and have limited manpower yet your boss is leaving for a two week vacation? I think that about sums it up.

Your under no obligation to tell anyone your job hunting. There is ZERO loyalty these days. You have to look out for ole #1.

point....game...set...match!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Yeah if he is a good boss don't damper his trip, let him enjoy if at all possible. I agree though if you are ready to move on them rip that band aid off in one pull.

That's what I'm thinking.

@the_Grinch, you sound like a really nice guy, but please don't forget that kindness and consideration are a two way street and by giving TOO MUCH you stop being a nice guy and start becoming a door mat. A position that's turned into more work and responsibility then initially negotiated with no commensurate increase in pay and/or benefits? Do well for yourself and your family, and if your boss really is a good person, he'll be happy for you!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Tough situation. I'd never tell my boss, but my last job I was on good terms with my boss, but the moment I resigned, lo and behold I'm the bad guy and he's like 'it would've been nice if you told us that you were looking'...I said 'I wasn't looking, I was approached by recruiter!'...

Seriously, what's with bosses getting all butt hurt when employees resign? It's not that the boss won't resign if someone offer them a better position.

Just do what you gotta do, they'll get over it. I don't like burning bridges, but it seems that some people bosses will burn bridges with you the moment you resign, and I honestly don't get it. Sensitive new generation?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always have the same exact answer

HELL NO

Don't tell anyone until you have an offer and are going to take it. Give them the 2 weeks or month or whatever they require and get out.

They would not hesitate to fire you on the spot if they needed to downsize and you were targeted to be let go.

Sounds harsh but that's the way it is.

I told one of my bosses once, but that's because she was encouraging me to look elsewhere since she saw how I was being turned down for internal opportunities for which I was VERY WELL qualified for.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    To bad your not actively looking my group just opened up a role for a technology eco-system manager.