Network Simulator Lite Sufficient?

LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
My ICND1 100-101 book came with the Network Simulator Lite software. For those that have used it, did you find it sufficient for hands-on preparation for the ICND1 exam? The standard version is rather expensive (although still cheaper than buyer Cisco gear on eBay).

Comments

• whizzerwhizzer Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think so. If it's the one I have, it only has EIGRP labs. I honestly prefer GNS3. It takes a little time to figure it out and get some working router images, but once it's up and running, you can throw labs together very quickly.
  • DeyColeDeyCole Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the Lite and Full versions of the Cisco Network simulator; I highly recommend the Full version. The Lite version has limited labs, limited command support, and is not sufficient for the exam.

The Full version has over 400 labs, almost full command support, and organized into two main categories (ICND1 & ICND2). In addition to that, the labs are organized by chapter or by lab type. For instance, I use the "sort by chapter" option when I do labs. As I read a chapter, I work thru the labs designed specifically for that chapter. One concept builds on another. Or you can use the "sort by lab type" option and the labs are broken down into 4 topics "Skill Builder", "Subnetting Exercises", "Configuration Exercises", and "Troubleshooting Scenarios". Also, if you want to access the CLI to do your own labs, or just practice configuration commands, you have that option as well.

Setup is easy...just install from the DVD and no additional steps. The Full version is sufficient for ICND1 and ICND2 and negates the need for real equipment. I haven't used Packet Tracer or GNS3, but I do have a couple of routers and switches in the office to get the feel for working with real equipment...I haven't used them yet b/c of the simulator, but plan to in the near future.

I'm not affiliated with Pearson or Cisco...just an honest review of the simulator. I think I paid $125 for both books and the Full simulator off of amazon. It was worth it IMO.
  • LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OK, thanks for the replies. I may need to get the full version, then.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got the full version as part of a set Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Official Cert Guide and Simulator Library: 9781587204661: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com it listed for about $130 USD. I also have access to the digital versions of the book using my Safari account that I get with my ACM membership. It's nice to have hard cover books when I want to unplug for a bit but the digital version of the books is handier to use for me.

I like the simulator, it has a lot of content and is nice because of the pros listed before. I also have physical gear that I use, which is configured the way I want to configure it. Again, this is nice because if I want to go off script as it were, I am not confined to a predefined lab exercise and it allows me to experiment more. It is also one thing to do small one off labs to accomplish a goal vs. bringing up an entire environment from nothing then tearing it down again only to do it over.

Regards,
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”