Options

Possible job interview / new job

ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
Salutations,
So I went to TekSystems about recruiting for a direct hire position. They are trying to place me with an MSP (CorpTech) for a FileMaker Application Administrator for a large city government of a booming city. The pay is almost 30k more a year then where I currently am, similar benefits, etc. I would have to drive an hour each way instead of 15 minutes.

Just looking for some thoughts other than my own.

Thanks!
--
“Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
2015 Goals: [] 70-410

Comments

• Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take the job and move next to it?
  • Options
    Sorry, I neglected to mention its not the path I've been working on. I've been more working towards my Network Administration degree. This is pretty much full time programming.

Its also not quite so easy to just move. Houses, kids, etc. I'm not the young buck I was many years ago.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Changed jobs recently, new job was around 14K more than previous one + engineering vs tier I.
    Been driving 50-70 mins each day since then (per way, approx 2 hrs driving each day).
    By Friday I'm extremely tired but I wouldnt ever go back. I'm moving to a place much closer next month.
    Thankfully I'm just renting, I figure if you bought your home quite more difficult.
    meh
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    How does the potential new role align for your goals? Sounds to me like a 180 degree turn from where you were headed. Is money a priority?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I drove about an hour to/from work for a couple years, some times it would be longer depending on traffic, you do get used to it. But you are a lot more tired when you get home... My current drive is about 15 minutes each way. Feel so much better, have more energy, and am in a better mood when I get home. After doing both, I tell myself I will never drive more than 30 minutes to work again. The energy drain from it is just not worth extra money in my mind. Some people maybe different but that is my experience.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    PS Helps if the salary bump is so much you can get yourself a nice new car :)
    meh
  • Options
    Cyberguy, Honestly its something I wanted to do for a very long time, but nothing has ever lined up for me to be able to do it. I am fairly fair along on my degree path at this point. I think my student mentor would flip on me if I changed my majors again! lol.

I'm in a lease, but I should be able to break it because of the distance of the new job. If I get it that is. I don't know exactly where I would move to.

It would be a 25k a year pay raise. It would put me in a different tax bracket. I've been shield by the bottom tax bracket because of the 3 kids.

As far as the drive, I've done the drive thing before. Its manageable for maybe 6 months for me before I want to drive a tank to work to knock out all of the bad drivers -_-.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I had a hour (40 minutes on good days)each way. Now, I am back to 20 minutes and wow, the difference. It is amazing..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    It would be a 25k a year pay raise. It would put me in a different tax bracket. I've been shield by the bottom tax bracket because of the 3 kids.

That's a pretty healthy bump. Get a good accountant, not some H&R Block walk in type. Get a for real accountant with a for real office. They will help you adjust
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    That's a pretty healthy bump. Get a good accountant, not some H&R Block walk in type. Get a for real accountant with a for real office. They will help you adjust

Thankfully, I've always budgeted a real accountant. I have always done side work and have an accountant to make certain the I don't get audited. I'm pretty conservative with what I write off also. I'll have to give him a call if I get the job.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi