Options

Assembly - Suggestions

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
In August I am taking my first course at DSU and it's Assembly. I know a decent amount of Python and I have taken Visual Basic, Java, and C++ courses. I have no experience with assembly and honestly I'm hearing the professor is not amazing. Any suggestions on some pre-reading and/or other resources I could look into to get a bit of a jump on the course?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
  • Options
    Sweet! Thanks guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Assembly isn't difficult its just a type of different thinking.

If you can wrap your mind around the concepts of Stack, Heap, and pointer you will be ahead of most.

Essentially you have to realize each piece of high level C#/JAVA code has smaller pieces that make up the assembly. This code gets put onto the memory stack/heap and a pointer/ ref pointer is created. What your dealing with is a few primitives that tell your processor how to process individual blocks in the memory.

What makes X86 hard is the limitations. Higher level code will go and correct a lot of errors, assembly is not as forgiving.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

-Phil
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Security Tube's Assembly Language Megaprimer for Linux. And it's free. They also have a more advanced paid course too.

http://www.securitytube.net/groups?operation=view&groupId=5
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    @philz will do! Thanks as always!

JoJoCal19 - Excellent suggestion! Might purchase the course considering it's only $150!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which course is this for?
  • Options
    [h=3]This one?
    CSC 314 - Assembly Language[/h]3 credits
    A thorough introduction to assembly language programming and processor architecture. A study of low-level programming techniques, and the layout of a typical computer. The student will gain insight into the memory layout, registers run-time stack, and global data segment of a running program. Prerequisite(s): CSC 250
  • Options
    Ahhhhh was just limiting myself to the MSACS course list :)
  • Options
    Yup it's a pre-req course I need to complete (CSC314). But if one plans on going for the DSc, knowing Assembly would be required for CSC844 and CSC846.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Hey Grinch, can you tell me the list of pre-reqs they are requiring you to take for the MSACS? Also, since the DSc has the entire MSACS as part of it, if you go straight to the DSc and you've finished those courses, can you apply for the MSACS degree, or will they force you to matriculate for the MSACS first then go into the DSc if you want both?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Hey Grinch, can you tell me the list of pre-reqs they are requiring you to take for the MSACS? Also, since the DSc has the entire MSACS as part of it, if you go straight to the DSc and you've finished those courses, can you apply for the MSACS degree, or will they force you to matriculate for the MSACS first then go into the DSc if you want both?

What I was told when talking to DSU about this is you can apply and go straight into the DSc program, but to get the MSACS degree you will need to apply separately to the MSACS. Pretty much acting like both are completely separate programs even though you're completing both at the same time.
  • Options
    CSC 300 Data Structures
    CSC 314 Assembly Language
    CSC 461 Progamming Languages
    CSC 466 Language Processing

The above are the pre-reqs they required me to take. As for the DSc, if you didn't have a Masters already you would be required to complete the MSACS. But you would sort of take them ad-hocly based on what was available, thus once you have completed all the MSACS requirements you would be given the MSACS even though you would still have courses to complete for the DSc. My boss went right into the MSACS without a Master (although he was close to finishing a Masters many years ago) so that's what he is doing.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Also, I was told by them I could apply directly into the DSc program with just my BS in Computer Information Systems. I'm deciding on just applying for the MSACS first though. I want to get both degrees so figure I might as just do the Masters first and finish the other classes for the DSc afterwards.
  • Options
    Weird their telling you that you wouldn't get the Masters. Most (if not all BS/BA to PhD/DSc) will grant you the Masters as you progress through the PhD/DSc.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I thought the same thing too... I'm kinda thinking the person I've been working with there doesn't actually know or not. I'm sure you boss would have better info than what I was getting :)

edit: this was their exact wordage in an email they sent me "If you got admission into our D.Sc.in Cyber Security program and then decided you also wanted the MSACS you would apply for our MSACS program, see if you get admitted and go from there."
  • Options
    Let it be said that theGrinch admits when he is wrong. I talked to my boss and there he does already have his Masters. NetworkNewb would be correct about having to apply for the Masters if you wanted it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I've been looking at the Georgia Tech MSCS through Udacity they have, as well as the DSU MSACS and DSc. I'm definitely getting my MBA next but the DSc or MSCS looks good and it's something I'd like to pursue at some point down the road.