Options

SSCP Passed

LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well I passed the SSCP today. icon_cheers.gif

To SSCP or not to SSCP was a question I went back and forth on for a few weeks before opting to purchase the book. In the end I decided that although it might not have the greatest return on investment, it was the most logical next step for me certification-wise. It doesn't hurt that taking the SSCP gave me some good insight into ISC2 testing and should help when its time for me to take the CISSP.

I've been studying here and there about 3 months in my spare time. I just used Darril Gibson's AIO book. I read it once, taking the quizzes at the end of each chapter. I took the quiz and practice test on the CD and then I went back through the book a second time just skimming the areas that I felt I needed a little more review in.

After performing my own simple cost-benefit analysis, I purchased all (3) of the 50 question Studiscope practice exams. With the AIO book being a few years old and my only source, I felt it would be money well spent.

The Studiscope practice exams were very different from the practice exams on the CD from the AIO book. They seemed to focus on different areas of the material and were less one-dimensional than the AIO practice exams. I was scoring over 90% on all the AIO practice exams, and got a low 60% on my first Studiscope one. I reviewed the explanations for the correct answers and then took another and scored a 76%, reviewed the answers for that and took the final and a 86%.

The Studiscope questions proved most valuable in the way they made me aware of how poorly worded and potentially confusing questions could be. They reinforced how important re-reading each question was to ensure I understood what was being asked. They also reminded me of some of the more obscure items that could be asked as part of this exam.

The exam was not too bad, and although I did not feel 100% sure I would pass when I clicked the end exam button, I felt pretty confident.

Comments

• Options
    TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Thanks for your thoughts - I have mine next month. I'm steadily revising, looking forward to the exam day :)
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So you used Darril's old book for the new exam? How relevant did you find it still?
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Arnie335Arnie335 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! The StudiScope and CCCure practice tests helped me a lot as well. What's next up for you?
  • Options
    LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.
    bermovick wrote: »
    So you used Darril's old book for the new exam? How relevant did you find it still?

Yes, the book's copyright was 2012 I believe... it worked fine for me. I wasn't about to wait for a year for some new book to come out just because they updated the exam. Between the Studiscope practice questions and the content of the book, I was in good shape.
    Arnie335 wrote: »
    Congrats! The StudiScope and CCCure practice tests helped me a lot as well. What's next up for you?

Just for fun, I'm going to run through the labs in the eLearnSecurity PTS I had purchased back when it was on sale.

The next exam I take will definitely be the CISSP though, probably in a year or so.
  • Options
    RollTideRollTide Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I passed the SSCP about 2 weeks ago I basically read the AIO book, taking my own notes, doing the quizzes at end of chapters and the 2 practice exams. The exam was much tougher than the questions in the AIO book so in hindsight, I think I would have benefited by using questions from other sources. I will definitely be including more variety of questions in addition to reading material in when preparing for the CISSP.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i have been reading up on this exam recently. Thanks for the input, I'll probably be pursuing this soon
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark