ICND1 doable in 30 days?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
Is it doable?
I know a LOT of the terminology and theories, I just need to get the subnetting down as well as all the configurations and command syntax.

Also learn the IPv6

Comments

• koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I think it's doable if like you said you have a lot of the theory down. How many hours in the 30 days?
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you put in the time and can easily grasp it. I studied it a few years ago and although I wasn't entirely prepared it took me 50-60 hours, much better prepared now. I think 40 hours or less is realistic for some spongy brained quick readers.

I only remember ipv6 very briefly in the icnd1 study, like network+, so I don't think you have to worry too much about it. CCNA is where they go in depth with ipv6.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Between 15-20 hours a week.
    I know the tcp/ip and OSI models and what each protocol falls under
    I know how packets are built and how they get from point A to point B
    I know what each device does

All I need to do is brush up on routing protocols, subnetting, route summarization and the ios in terms of configuring OSPF and get used to the CLI again.

The CBT Nuggets is where I learned subnetting by watching the videos once.

I basically plan plan on viewing the subnetting videos again first. With that knowledge I will hit up 10 subnettingquestions.com questions before I skim over the things I know and then studying for the things I need to get better at.

I have switches and routers but I'm sticking to packet tracer, don't feel like setting them up and I barely have room for them as it is.
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    If you have a strong background like you say, sure, I can't see why not. However, is it really needed to be rushed?

My opinion would be to take your time and absorb all the information.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
    No
    But at the same token, I don't want to spend 6+ months studying for it.
    I had studied for it multiple times in the past but a lot of crap just got in the way, such as more school work, had a child, changed jobs, etc.

I probably have more than 6 months time of studying under my belt, but the fact that I haven't used it in a while sort of killed my memory from it, but when I picked up new material this weekend everything started coming back. Pretty cool.

When I say a while, I mean just over a year of not even looking at the material.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    If it's doable I spent 7 months doing something wrong. icon_wink.gif
    I should probably rephrase that, having a child and getting a new job were two of the best things to happen to me, they just changed my life for the better, but it took a little getting used to the huge change.

I wouldn't trade anything in the world for my daughter.
  • rake05rake05 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Definitely doable. I passed it in 35 days. However, I had experience from my bachelors degree in Computer Science, and this August I will graduate from my master degree in Digital Forensics.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for it dude, sounds like you know your stuff!

PS congrats on the child front, being a parent is awesome but bloody hard work
    Thanks, yes it def is!

I'm reading Odom's book. I actually like it.

I do see a problem for people just diving into it having a hard time understanding, with the way he opens it up, but other then that it's right to the facts. I even learned things that will help me.

Such as the suffix T for copper and X for fiber, I was mindblown with that information lol
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lol, I am reading Odom's book as well, it is good and covers a lot of material. Taking it slow though as my goal is more lenient than yours, just want to get the ICND1 done by end of the year.

Wanted to be realistic as taking the time to really learn the stuff (you sound a lot further along the Cisco road and have more relevant knowledge than myself) plus I have time on my side with life getting in the way and enjoying life with my family too this way. Totally understand you an others wanting to crush it ASAP though!