VTP Question

dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
For a ring topology with L3 switches, can I designate one particular site as a VTP server and the others as VTP clients?
Will there be a broadcast storm?

Comments

• SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    There WILL be a broadcast storm if you're using VTP version 1. Since then, Cisco has added the support in the later versions (2 and above) for ring topologies. Here a link with a bit more information.

VTP Version 3 - Cisco
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    Ok next question.
    What happens if the vtp server goes down?
    How to provide redundancy for the vtp server?

If I use port channel for the interfaces, will it still work?
    I believe that you can run two VTP servers on the same domain, if it's best practise or not i'm not too sure. If this is done, it should theoretically provide the redundancy needed.

I hope this helps.

sriddle.co.uk
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have not yet met another Network Engineer that actually uses VTP in a production environment.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    You can have any number of servers you want to. They send and receive updates. Clients send updates but are unable to change vlan information (for instance, you can't run the commands "vlan x" and "no vlan y"). Transparent bridges only relays updates.
    Just had a thought, if you have STP correctly configured you could run VTPv1 on a ring network I believe, not that you'd ever want to run VTPv1.....

sriddle.co.uk
  • abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You know VTP is no longer relevant to CCNA, right

Learn how to create trunking with the newer methods they teach you in the textbooks...
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    I have not yet met another Network Engineer that actually uses VTP in a production environment.
    this
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    abyssinica wrote: »
    You know VTP is no longer relevant to CCNA, right

Learn how to create trunking with the newer methods they teach you in the textbooks...

this

VTP isn't for negotiating trunking, it's for sharing VLAN information between switches like GVRP.

DTP might be what you're thinking of?

Only place i've seen it used is on a local authority network so that vlans could propagate to edge switches located at schools
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes I am referring to DTP, and I am saying that VTP is not used for CCNA exams anymore. VTP is in fact required for older CCNA trunking questions (even really elementary ones) which is probably why the OP thinks he/she needs to learn it. The fact is, they don't.
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    How can I design a ring topology with redundancy then?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What kind of redundancy are you talking about? Traffic wise or VLAN addition? For VLANs just add them manually, create a script that adds them etc. VTP is pretty much a no go in most production environments.

For an exam type answer, have two VTP servers.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    Hondabuff wrote: »

We actually run VTP at our location. 100 + switches, a ton of VLANs based on floor/voice/etc. Our Nexus is set up as our VTP server.

Nice to meet you.

PS. I walked into this I didn't do it on purpose.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been to multiple customer sites that still run VTP. In my opinion it's still worth learning.
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    BigTone wrote: »
    We actually run VTP at our location. 100 + switches, a ton of VLANs based on floor/voice/etc. Our Nexus is set up as our VTP server.

Nice to meet you.

PS. I walked into this I didn't do it on purpose.

we have almost 1000 sites and all run vtp. We run vtp on the distribution layer on two switches for server mode and all access layer are transparent. We use it cause of the large number of clans we have for trunks for wireless access points. Nice to meet you as well. CCNA or not it's still very relevant and part of CCNP studies.