Options

Interviewed - Security Associate

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Nailed it! Granted it was only an HR interview with some typical canned IT questions, but moving on to the next stage in the process. It will be another phone interview, but much more technical and with a member of the team. Here we go!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    bradl3yCbradl3yC Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck moving forward!
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! It's so encouraging watching so many professionals move on and move up! If you get it or not, great effort!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work!

Exciting times!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yes, sir.. keep the ball rolling
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck with Round 2! You've got this!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz Grinch. What would you be doing? I'm sure I missed where you talked about this.
  • Options
    Honestly, I'm not entirely sure as the posting was pretty general. From what they put, it seems that some development of in house solutions would be a big part of it. Also, it seems the team overall is broken into smaller teams that deal with certain technologies so I suspect they'll put me where my strengths are. Initial interview questions revolved around systems (Windows and Linux) and Networking (the basics such as wifi, firewalls, and arp).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Good luck to you. I just signed an Offer letter last week for a position as a Security Associate. I'll be conducting Penetration Tests/Vulnerability assessments.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    Excellent! Congrats!!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    seems like a lot of security action around TE lately. I had an interview for a Security Analyst role on Monday
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Congrats fellows!

Security titles are misleading, I'd be careful with actual job duties. Ask more detailed questions!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Yeah I hear ya! HR wasn't going to be the place to ask the job duty questions because it seemed they were asking a variety of IT questions to see what teams you'd be qualified for and then to see where your interests were.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck Grinch!
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Good luck, I'm sure you will nail it! Drop us a line when you learn what your job responsibilities are. I am curious about what a Security Associate will actually mean. I don't think I've heard about this particular role(not that job titles mean much but still).
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just curious are these full time positions or contracts?
  • Options
    Will do! This is an in house full time position.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Congrats fellows!

Security titles are misleading, I'd be careful with actual job duties. Ask more detailed questions!

good poing, the job description is pretty much Blue Team type work. Interview seemed all Security based questions, and some personality stuff
    N2IT wrote: »
    Just curious are these full time positions or contracts?

same as Grinch, full time in house
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    All scheduled for the second interview on Tuesday! Phone interview with the Manager and Team Lead. I did some open source checking and these guys have a combined 35+ years of experience in security. Looks like the team handles every aspect of security for the company (network, server, incident response, and SOC duties). Seems like I would learn a lot and be getting my hands dirty in a lot of things.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Interview definitely didn't go well. I ultimately did answer their questions, but as is the curse of the JOAT they were looking for a deeper technical dive that I didn't quite have. My position now is more high level and I definitely don't dive into deep packet inspection. Study up and keep chugging is the plan!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    sorry to hear that, I know that feeling though. I developed a rap about out how a candidate like myself is stronger than a candidate with the exact background they are looking for. Stories about how to adapt vs just knowing how to do it because you did it.

i'll write it up in more detail later
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    @Grinch: not to worry, take it as an opportunity to ninja up on packet inspection skills (wireshark/pentest..etc). You'll get there :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Yeah definitely know what I need to focus on. Plus starting my Masters will definitely push we more towards the technical side.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff