Options

Started new position today: Sr IT Security Engineer

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
I was "promoted" two weeks ago from a Sr IT Administrator to a Sr IT Security Engineer on the Security Architecture and Engineering team at my current company (pay grade is lateral although they gave me a bump in pay, but the job duties are where the promotion is). It's an example of hard work paying off. After being hired into the Administrator role I was disappointed as the stuff I was doing was not using my abilities, but I didn't let that affect my hard work or attitude. Instead I killed my normal duties and volunteered when help was needed on the Arch & Eng team (my supervisor reported to the manager of Arch & Eng). It got to the point where I was dual-hatting and doing all of my normal duties, plus Arch & Eng duties on a daily basis. In February one of the Sr Engineers put in his notice and I went straight to the Arch & Eng manager and told him that I could step up into that slot and was more than capable of learning where there were gaps. He knew how hard I've been working and that I mastered the duties of the Administrator role in no time, and that I had been doing some of the duties of his team. Of course he knew my ability to learn quickly, and that I had the potential to grow into the new role in short order so the wheels were put in motion and two weeks ago I received the offer, and today was my first day.

After talking to my new manager today, I will be restarting the as of now defunct forensics program, as well as standardizing our incident response plan and capabilities. I've already been helping with vendors on products and solutions and have two POCs under my belt already, so I'll be continuing to do that aspect, as well as implementing new solutions. I'll also be working in a security architect capacity, which I'm definitely looking forward to (hello TOGAF!). And one of the big responsibilities I will have is network security and firewall monitoring. That's where my biggest weakness is so I will have to ramp up on those skills. My manager is already booking me for the CCSA course, and I will need get trained up at least to CCNA:S as we have both Check Point and Cisco solutions in place. These are just some of my responsibilities, and I am keeping the information security audits from my old position as I'm the current security audit expert.

Even though I've felt I might look to go back to a GRC/Audit role, this was a great opportunity and I didn't want to pass it up. The ability to learn skills and gain experience in new areas of InfoSec is a nice career boost. I still get to do GRC/Audit stuff so that's a win in my book. Even if you're not in your ideal job or position, put in the effort and do great work and you will be rewarded.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good for you. Glad to hear your hard work paid off. Let that be a testament for continued success.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Congrats man, you deserve it. It's been a long road coming and like many will say you put in the time and hard work and it will come back to benefit you later on.

Best of luck to you in the new position!!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    congrats, good story
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good deal...congrats on the opportunity
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice news!
    congrats!
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations man! You deserve it! I don't know that I would have been that patient, but it sounds like the work is fun and interesting and you like the environment! Great job man!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good job man, congratulations!
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Sounds cool man! Gratz!
    meh
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! Sounds like you are happy with the new position. Best of luck!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like a great new position! Nice work! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!! Definitely went about it the right way and once you get all the tech knowledge you'll have a much easier time moving into (or back into?) the GRC role if you find you still want to do it.

On a side note, people should heed this post. It's amazing what some hard work and talking can get you. You let people know where you wanted to be and you took on the work to get there. Not saying the members of the forums do this, but I have been in many a shop where someone will grumble about being stuck where they are and yet never mention it to management. While management should be in tune with their people they are not all knowing. As an example, when I left my last place a member of a team that was no where near IT asked about the program I had done at Drexel. I said I liked it and he said he was just finishing up a couple of the initial courses. Now he had never mentioned to his manager or my manager that he wanted to be in IT. So I went to my manager and said I found someone to replace me. He asked who and when I said who it was he was like really? Very quiet guy who just did his job and didn't put up a fuss (good or bad). Now he's kicking butt in the IT department. Speak up people ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 on what Grinch said! You can't expect your manager to read your mind. In my experience I've found managers love to hear when I tell them I'm interested in growing and learning more and they are usually willing to help. If you don't speak up, you could work your butt off each day but your manager just might think you love your current position...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work well played!
  • Options
    praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck !!!
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats broham
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    congrats .............keep up the good workicon_cheers.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!! You are proof that "Hard Work Pays Off"!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"