upgrading lab from CCNA to CCNP

smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Posts: 139Member
Hey,

I used 3x 2950 and 3x 2600 for my CCNA and was very happy with them.

I'm looking at replacing the 2950 switches with 3750s, probably these:
Cisco WS C3750 48TS s 4SFP N Poe IP Services CCNA CCNP CCIE Lab 90 Days Warranty 5051964008934 | eBay

Since I'm only testing for 300-115 right now, I'm considering using my current 3x 2600 routers until i get an idea of what features I need (after reviewing Route OCG).

Does that present a problem? Or should I just go with some other recommendations I've seen in similar threads and ditch my 2600s for say, 3x 1841:
Cisco 1841 Router w Adventerprise 15 1 iOS 64F 384D Flash Memory 2X WIC Card 882658072734 | eBay

Advice welcome.

Thanks

Comments

  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Posts: 879Member
    Two layer 2 switches, and two layer 3 (3550, 3560, 3750, etc) is the recommended setup since it lets you do most STP and SVI stuff. You could get that 3750 and then a 3550 or something and you should be good to go. Routers are kind of pointless to get unless you're interested in the hardware itself since there are so many ways to make a virtual router environment.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Senior Member Posts: 773Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    I see a lot of suggestions for 4 layer 3 switches. I think most people consider 4x3560 as the ideal setup but you can get by with 2 x 3550 and 2x 3560. The differences are primarily with things like private VLANs. Of course, I always suggest getting the best you can. You can get by with virtual routers but for me there is just something about racking it up and cabling it out that makes me smile! Plus the noise actually helps me sleep :p I have not had any trouble labbing so far with myself.


    My current lab setup:
    3x2811 (One is serving as an access server and my frame relay)
    3x2821
    2x3560
    2x3550
    2x2950
    2019 Certification Goals: OSCE OSWE
    Blog: https://hackfox.net
  • smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Posts: 139Member
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    Two layer 2 switches, and two layer 3 (3550, 3560, 3750, etc) is the recommended setup since it lets you do most STP and SVI stuff. You could get that 3750 and then a 3550 or something and you should be good to go. Routers are kind of pointless to get unless you're interested in the hardware itself since there are so many ways to make a virtual router environment.

    Two quick questions.

    Would 2x 3750 and 2x my existing 2950 be alright? (Any real advantage to getting a 3750 and a 3550 rather than two 3750s?)

    For the virtual routers, the only thing I'm missing is the interactive between them and my switches. I feel like I should have at least two physical routers, and maybe do the more complicated designs with the virtuals. Would that approach make sense?

    Thanks for the advice.
  • smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Posts: 139Member
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I see a lot of suggestions for 4 layer 3 switches. I think most people consider 4x3560 as the ideal setup but you can get by with 2 x 3550 and 2x 3560. The differences are primarily with things like private VLANs. Of course, I always suggest getting the best you can. You can get by with virtual routers but for me there is just something about racking it up and cabling it out that makes me smile! Plus the noise actually helps me sleep :p I have not had any trouble labbing so far with myself.


    My current lab setup:
    3x2811 (One is serving as an access server and my frame relay)
    3x2821
    2x3560
    2x3550
    2x2950

    So you don't use the 3750 at all. Everything you need in the 3750, I'm guessing, you're already getting out of the 3560s?
  • smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Posts: 139Member
    And one last question.

    If I go with the 3750-48TS, I *believe* I can upgrade the smi to emi (and get advanced routing) by downloading and installing this image:
    c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin

    Am I incorrect in assuming that?
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Posts: 879Member
    (Any real advantage to getting a 3750 and a 3550 rather than two 3750s?)

    It should be cheaper.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Senior Member Posts: 773Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    So you don't use the 3750 at all. Everything you need in the 3750, I'm guessing, you're already getting out of the 3560s?

    Other than stacking the switches are pretty much the same.
    2019 Certification Goals: OSCE OSWE
    Blog: https://hackfox.net
  • smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Posts: 139Member
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    Other than stacking the switches are pretty much the same.

    Thanks, Mooseboost.

    Since my post I did look into it a little more and decided to go with 3750 because of the stacking, even if I don't use it much.

    I can't find a clear answer to whether I can upgrade the smi to emi (and get advanced routing) by downloading and installing this image:
    c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin

    The pages I've found imply that I should be able to do it because the 3750 is an older model.

    Well I went ahead and bought two of them anyway. I guess I'll let you know whether they can be upgraded to that image soon enough ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.