Wendell Odom

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
You drive me BONKERS with the way you put the word LAN in from of every instance of SWITCH and HUB.

SHEESH

icon_study.gif

Comments

• quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    But then how would you know if he's talking about a light or fan switch? Maybe he got a good deal on ink and figured he could print a few more unnecessary words! :)
  • ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    Probably due to the fact that he is old school and has been writing since a time when people were still calling switches "bridges"...
  • jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've got to say that I got Lammle's book the other day and like it much more that Odom's. I think if I had started with Lammle I would have gotten my CCNA months ago. He is much easier to read, presents the material better IMO and I love his end of chapter review material.. not to mention he has some cool free stuff like a simulator, flash cards and exams for download.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    jem7sk wrote: »
    I've got to say that I got Lammle's book the other day and like it much more that Odom's. I think if I had started with Lammle I would have gotten my CCNA months ago. He is much easier to read, presents the material better IMO and I love his end of chapter review material.. not to mention he has some cool free stuff like a simulator, flash cards and exams for download.

I agree. I looked at both and ultimately went with Lammle's book. It just reads so easy and for someone who feels sorely lacking in networking knowledge and experience, I was understanding the material I read very well after just one pass, which is highly unusual for me.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I forgot to mention the links from Lammle's book to all Jeremy's FREE CBTNugget videos (filmed specifically for this book) that further explain what Lammle is saying.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I think the current 100-101 is much easier to read than his previous books - more precise, short and sharp. I feel that reading Lammle's book without Odom's one is like having a meal with only vegetable and no meat.
  • LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Odom strikes me as the Michener of IT writing. His explanations are thorough and helpful, but he's very wordy. I'm using his book as a reference for other materials rather than as something to read straight through. It seems to work well for me in that capacity.
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Lammle's book is great to get the concepts down, I would use Odom's book as a reference book though. Useful to have both.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    chopsticks wrote: »
    I think the current 100-101 is much easier to read than his previous books - more precise, short and sharp. I feel that reading Lammle's book without Odom's one is like having a meal with only vegetable and no meat.

I don't know about that, I've seen a ton of people use only Lammle's book and one of the many video resources to pass.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have the entire CBT nuggets on the current CCNA anyway, so that wouldn't do any good.
    I have a bunch of labs as well.

I said in a previous post in a different thread that I already know a lot, I just need to get subnetting down, route summarization, cable types and practice the configurations. All the theory, ports, models, and protocols I know.

That being said, Odom's book was given to me for my course at WGU so I decided to take a stab at it and read it while at work since it's electronic.

I do see how someone just starting would have some problems understanding it due to the way he writes things.

I have the physical Lammle book.
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I must be the only one but i mostly used Odoms book to get my CCNA which was the old, i read lame a bit but i enjoyed Odoms more
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stupid auto correct, that should be lammle not lame
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used both when I passed, though I found Lammle a lot easier to chew through. Odom felt more like a technical manual from an OEM. It was harder to read but it was very good material wise. I would advocate getting both or at lease glancing through both if you have a chance (bookstore, etc)
  • DeyColeDeyCole Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dsgm wrote: »
    I must be the only one but i mostly used Odoms book to get my CCNA which was the old, i read lame a bit but i enjoyed Odoms more

You're not alone, I'm reading Odom's book as my primary resource for ICND1 & 2, along with the associated Net Sim and CBT nuggets. I chose Odom because I want to really understand the technology and how the concepts relate. I will admit it's been a challenge; not because of Wendalls writing style, but because of the amount of information that's presented.