Inter-Vlan Routing and Internet connection

AlceoAlceo Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
Let's say I have a network with an ADSL line.
My PCs are connected to L3 switches with different VLAN assigned, to route between them I configure their NIC with a default gateway that is the IP of the SVI interface with the same VLAN ID.
How can I let the PCs access the internet?
I' d like to find a solution in the two cases that I mapped.
MAP.jpg 15.2K

Comments

• DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I'd set the ip default-gateway on the switches to that of the router and enable ip routing and then set the gateway of last resort on the router to the ISP's IP. So say the IP from the ISP on the router is 172.16.60.1 and the ISP's is 172.16.60.2 you set the gateway of last resort or default gateway to 172.16.60.2.

Also I'd presume the L3 switches are connected to each other with a trunk and have the same native vlan.

That's how I would do it.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on how many users you have, routing protocols supported on the L3 switches, and size of a site can determine if interVLAN routing occurs at the switch or the router. In a large site, you would not daisy chain your switches like that and run it to a core, but let's assume the top switch is your core. You could have all computers point to the SVIs place on the top switch, run a routing protocol between the top switch and the router, and then have a default route advertised down to the top L3 switch.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (router address) IF you're using the switches as l3. If not default gateway on switch will do the same. To route the vlans just setup eigrp between the two l3 and redistribute connected should do it.
  • AlceoAlceo Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm really having fun studying for ICND1.
  • webspongewebsponge Member Posts: 119
    santaowns wrote: »
    Ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (router address) IF you're using the switches as l3. If not default gateway on switch will do the same. To route the vlans just setup eigrp between the two l3 and redistribute connected should do it.
    Yep! just did this for a client last weekend, set up EIGRP on an SVI on 2 core switches, and had ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 next-hop-ip
    CCDP Next