Options

Just had a recruiter basically hang up on me over salary.

ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
Got bombarded yesterday by a recruiter who called me 4 times here in the Atlanta area.

Company was Resolution Technologies. Position was a Senior Windows Engineer out of the North Atlanta area. I gave them a call back today and the recruiter refused to move the conversation forward until I told her what I was making previously. I told her that the salary I was expecting would be in line with what glassdoor and other sites showed as the median for that title. She refused to move forward and said their "account manager" would not proceed until they knew what I was making at my last position. She stated that they used that information to verify a candidate's "worth" and that they are at the correct compensation level before they submit someone for a position. After I stated that I felt my previous salary had no bearing on any future jobs, she stated "Alright well we can just end this conversation now, yea thanks bye".

Click.

Fun times.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thacker thanks for posting this.

It reminds me why my level of stress has gone down since transitioning from a contractor to a FTE.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Thacker thanks for posting this.

It reminds me why my level of stress has gone down since transitioning from a contractor to a FTE.

I just looked the recruiter up on Linkedin. Shes been in IT recruiting for less than a month. This was a direct hire position as well, so it seems she would have been wanting to promote the highest salary possible instead of employing wage suppression tactics right off the bat. Maybe the client had a budget of 90k and whatever she could get me to accept under that would be her share? Who knows.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If she won't divulge the pay range or budgeted amount for the position, then why should you divulge your previous salary? Screw em and move on. No patience for money games, especially if already gainfully employed.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    If she won't divulge the pay range or budgeted amount for the position, then why should you divulge your previous salary? Screw em and move on. No patience for money games, especially if already gainfully employed.

Not gainfully employed, would love to be. Tired of BS like this though. Rather not work, then deal with this ish.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a recruiter for you. As soon as you don't fit inside that perfect little box that they are looking for, they will cut you loose, even though they were your best friend just before that.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Plenty other people out there willing to divulge their info so not worth wasting their time on someone that won't I suppose.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Kudos to you for sticking to your guns and causing them to f-off. We need more of this.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Kudos to you for sticking to your guns and causing them to f-off. We need more of this.

It means continuing to be without a position.

I was upfront in her first email about needing relocation to the area as my commute would be like 1.5 hours. I said I wouldn't need much, just a small amount to get setup in a new area and she said that would not be available. I've been told this by other companies as well. Why are companies so shy about offering 1500-2000 to help a person get set up in a new area... I mean they are going to be paying 80k+ for the talent.. what is another 1-2k to help a person get established?
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol that is the contractor and I think the woman who I have been working with in my thread. (just updated it earlier) What was her name?
    They did the same thing to me. Wouldn't send my resume until I gave them salary info. lol
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    That is why I like dealing with the employer myself and not go with a recruiter or a temp company. Hang in there, Thacker, I know it is rough and it is getting to you. Sending good job cyber thoughts..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Chadius wrote: »
    lol that is the contractor and I think the woman who I have been working with in my thread. (just updated it earlier) What was her name?
    They did the same thing to me. Wouldn't send my resume until I gave them salary info. lol

This girls name was Victoria.
  • Options
    lol. Same person.

They had been really nice and helpful, until today. Once it looked like I was a shoe-in, I didn't hear from them for a week. :P
    Before that, they called me 2-3 times a day.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    That's a recruiter for you. As soon as you don't fit inside that perfect little box that they are looking for, they will cut you loose, even though they were your best friend just before that.

Ain't that the true. ^^^
  • Options
    Is it me or has the quality of recruiters gotten worse?

I used to only deal with two ladies both very respectable and knowledgable. One was a former PM for infrastructure projects with VISA and the other was a development director for a non for profit. Both got it and had the skills to place people well while remaining professional. Both of these ladies moved on and I was transferred to new recruiters. Both were trash so I am back to square one. F it I am FTE and should stay here for as long as I can. At least it feels that way.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Thacker Don't worry about it if she told you straight off the bat they need it to determine your worth then you did good not sharing your salary information. That means they were going to low ball you. I do not have any patience whatsoever for nonsense. If that was me I would've ended the call after she said she needed it to determine my worth, yea right. I'm looking for a new job because I'm not getting what I'm worth genius...
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Is it me or has the quality of recruiters gotten worse?

I used to only deal with two ladies both very respectable and knowledgable. One was a former PM for infrastructure projects with VISA and the other was a development director for a non for profit. Both got it and had the skills to place people well while remaining professional. Both of these ladies moved on and I was transferred to new recruiters. Both were trash so I am back to square one. F it I am FTE and should stay here for as long as I can. At least it feels that way.

I haven't dealt with them for long, but they seem pretty bad. They have no clue about anything IT and will say whatever the candidate wants to hear to get them an interview.

And on the company side of things, they send awful candidates. Like I remember we were looking for Level 3 help desk guys (should be an expert in desktop, ms server, and exchange) and a bunch of these guys can't even answer what DNS is or what the Windows registry is. I'm sure some of it is them lying on their resume but recruiters should be partially blamed too and should be able to ask a couple basic IT questions to filter out people.
  • Options
    Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ugh,

Many recruiters are horrid, don't know what skills are truly needed, beneficial, etc. Send people to jobs that aren't remotely a fit, etc. I've been on both the job seeker and job hire side, ugh!
  • Options
    This company we are talking about, they gave me a short tech interview. (5-6 questions, and then asked me how I would rate myself on different things. i.e. Exchange, 2008 server, Cisco VOIP, etc) I answered them again when I interview on the phone with the client.

But to your point, recruiters should filter candidates better. The client should send them a list of questions and the answers. Ask these before moving forward. :P