Options

What type of work should I look for?

LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know the easy answer: whatever you're interested in. But the question seems more complex, given my situation.

My qualifications (or lack thereof):
*I worked in IT many years ago and have some experience at help desk and setting up small office networks.
*I was very good with Linux in the mid/late 90's, but those skills have atrophied to some degree.
*I have bachelors and masters degrees, but they're not IT/computer science related.
*My recent jobs have primarily been teaching at universities.
*Security+ certification, as of recently
*Working on CCENT (hoping to take the test in July).

It would help to know what kind of work to look for that would give me the best chance of getting a foot in the door. I'd prefer to avoid help desk again, but I'd do it if it's the best route to go. My interests are network security and architecture, but of course it's not realistic to expect to get a job that involves either at this point. I also do enjoy teaching, and I think I'd enjoy the role of a corporate trainer, but again it doesn't seem like something open for entry level.

If anyone has specific suggestions of job titles I might look for, key words to look for in job titles/descriptions, or any other helpful information, please feel free to reply. I'm just not sure what I would have the best chance at, given my background and current resume.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd aim for a NOC environment. You might have to settle for a help desk position, but I'd really focus on NOC environments. Given your S+ and studying for a CCENT, you have a decent chance of getting into one of those places, especially with some previous IT experience (even if it was years ago).
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    markulous wrote: »
    I'd aim for a NOC environment.

Rotating shifts, working weekends/holidays, major outages, telcos in other countries always on break...the NOC made a man out of me lol.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A couple of items you pointed out so I will give you some ideas.

Don't want help desk
    Used to set up home offices and networks
    Decent with Linux
    Security + certification (assuming knowledge is there too)

A couple of positions I would look for.

Associate Security Analyst. We have financial companies in my city and they bring in people who have an IT background and an interest in security

Field Technician or Engineer. Working for an MSP or VAR setting up servers, networks etc. A lot of SOHO type set ups

NOC which has already been mentioned

I think with Sec + and the CCENT and your experience/degrees you could have a chance of getting into security if you wanted.
  • Options
    LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the suggestions. Been applying to some positions, but no luck yet. Hopefully I'll have the CCENT completed soon and that will make a difference.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not sure how to help with the corporate training option, seems like your background would fit that, but getting in is foreign to me. I'd try to work on how you can spin the 15+ years of being out of IT in a cover letter or summary.

I'm really not sure if being completely fresh and coming in as a career changer without any prior experience listed or listing experience from the mid 90s looks better on a resume.
  • Options
    InfoTech92InfoTech92 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey buddy,

So, I know you said you didn't want help-desk. I think that may be the smartest way to go though. If you haven't been in IT in a while, a lot has changed. It may be smart just to start off there and see how the industry has changed.

Better yet, maybe a Jr. Sysadmin position? A lot of them are usually half support half sysadmin stuff. That will get you into the new technologies. Maybe you can also try getting a job at an MSP (managed service provider). They will throw stuff at you and get you up to speed quick. Stay there for a year and maybe move on to a more ideal role.

Best regards,
    Mike
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look for IT Sales positions, you clearly qualify for it. You have worked in IT, you have taught taught at universities, you have degrees outside of IT, you will fit perfectly for IT Sales. Look at different vendors that are recruiting and you will not be disappointed.