Options

Oracle Database Administrator

KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
So far I've obtained my A+ and Network+ and am closing in on the Security+ and my plan after that was to tackle the CCENT/CCNA. Probably a very common path that a lot of people take in the IT world. But in studying for Security+ I've decided I really don't like security that much. I still plan on taking the exam because I've invested over 3 months studying for it at this point and a lot of frustration trying to grasp all the terms and concepts. But I think after Security+ I may reevaluate whether I simply decide to go down the McSE path or the CCNA path.

I saw an ad about Oracle database administrators that interested me recently. It stated that it was among the most stable and sought after positions in the IT world. I know nothing about Oracle so I did a quick salary check and it looks like the median pay is quite good.

Can anyone tell me if Oracle admins are indeed stable and sought after positions? How difficult is it to obtain proficiency vs becoming proficient in something like cisco? What is the future outlook for oracle admins?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First, I like your tenacity. Quite a few people will start studying for a cert, get bored or discouraged, and then turn their backs on the cert.

Second, all of the DBAs I know say it can be quite stable. Unfortunately, it really depends on the job market and you. Obviously, if you have great soft skills and are good at your job, you shouldn't have to worry about finding/keeping jobs. Big Data is really taking off, though, to be honest, I've heard about it for over a decade or so, so don't worry about buzzwords and such. Just know that as more and more data gets produced and released, the greater the need will be for experienced DBAs.

Third, the nice thing about Oracle is that it doesn't cost you anything to download and install a copy of their database software. So, you can practice and lab all you want. Couple that with a good blog detailing your studies and how you've built your lab will do wonders for helping you land your first DBA gig.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wonderful advice Stryder.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet after Security+ but Oracle is something I will be looking into. I'm wondering how difficult it must be to break into that world. I did some more searching on dice.com and indeed for jobs and found a lot of positions for "senior Oracle DBAs". It's very daunting because it seems like there's no middle ground with anything IT. Same thing with security, network admins, etc. They all want 5+ years experience and some high level thing like a CISSP or a CCNP or something. It's either that or the help desk. For people who are overqualified for help desk but underqualified for these "senior" positions it's like there's no where to go. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Anyway, thanks again for the input.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would recommend starting off studying relational database fundamentals usually a good community college has a class on this. This is crucial for all RDMS's like MS SQL, MySQL, IBM DB2 and Oracle. Then learning Unix/Linux is as important , as most (not all) Oracle DB's run over these type of OS's. Finally learning Oracle itself, like PL/SQL, RMAN, Data Guard and other DBA functions..

I hate Oracle Manuals so I recommend W3schools for SQL statements, and oracle-base.Com for actual installation. Good luck!
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    Kandinsky wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet after Security+ but Oracle is something I will be looking into. I'm wondering how difficult it must be to break into that world. I did some more searching on dice.com and indeed for jobs and found a lot of positions for "senior Oracle DBAs". It's very daunting because it seems like there's no middle ground with anything IT. Same thing with security, network admins, etc. They all want 5+ years experience and some high level thing like a CISSP or a CCNP or something. It's either that or the help desk. For people who are overqualified for help desk but underqualified for these "senior" positions it's like there's no where to go. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Anyway, thanks again for the input.

A lot of the mid-level positions are occupied by those looking to gain their 5+ years of experience. I see you are located in Florida, not sure which city, but I have seen many people complain about the lack of IT positions in Florida. Not sure if you would be up for relocating, but it might be something you could do for a few years, get the experience you want and move back to Florida seeking the jobs that you are seeing now, since you would have the experience wanted.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing now job wise? Are you already in the IT field or trying to break into it now?
  • Options
    I'm eventually trying to move into a data role, if account management / project management never comes to happen.

I find working as a database ba has really helped bridge the gap for my sql skills. You go from writing select statements to complex queries to building objects and then stored procedures, scheduling jobs. 3 years later you look up and realize you still have a lot of knowledge gaps but you also have a lot of skills others don't have.

Then you move onto SSIS, SSRS, Business Objects, Cognos and other reporting and integration tools. I found it is a good way to move up into a pure database role if you desire.

In this current role I am working with SSAS, through our director. Great opportunities.
  • Options
    Mitechniq - I'll look into it, thanks.

ImTheOne - I'm about to start a help desk position with an ISP on Monday. What other cities/states would you recommend that I might find more of these mid level or entry level Oracle positions?

N2IT - Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "database ba"? It would appear you're already involved in the type of work I'm referring to. How did you get started?
  • Options
    Business Analyst. I support, design, update, insert, create tables in a data warehouse. This includes stored procedures, views, SQL agent jobs etc.

I also build reports, look for exceptions, discrepancies etc.

It can get deep in a hurry!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »

It can get deep in a hurry!

^^^The first thought I had was "that explains IT in a nutshell, both knowledge-wise and pure BS-wise!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me