Options

How to handle interview when job description doesn't match the job

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
So what would does TE think the best way to handle coming into an interview for a higher level position and finding out it's for an entry-level job? This has happened to me twice recently. Same organization but different branches. Job description and pay was indicative of a higher level job. While in one interview after telling me it was just a call center job they did stress the pay which was extremely good for essentially being a busy telephone answering trouble ticket opener. The pay was more in line with what I've seen for network admin type jobs in the area. Still though I didn't want to do that sort of work again and was angry that I had taken time off of work. I maintained composure and rode the whole interview through still doing my best. But, if I were to encounter something like this again would it really be so bad to just excuse myself and say thanks for the interest but I'm not interested? Was there a better way for me to handle it without wasting too much of my time?

EDIT:
Just to be clear I was not contacted via recruiters. I applied directly website for an organization to a few jobs where the job title, pay rate, duties, and qualifications were clearly laid out. Interviews were scheduled by the department admin assistants on behalf of the managers (interviewers).

Comments

• Options
    xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    So what would does TE think the best way to handle coming into an interview for a higher level position and finding out it's for an entry-level job? This has happened to me twice recently. Same organization but different branches. Job description and pay was indicative of a higher level job. While in one interview after telling me it was just a call center job they did stress the pay which was extremely good for essentially being a busy telephone answering trouble ticket opener. The pay was more in line with what I've seen for network admin type jobs in the area. Still though I didn't want to do that sort of work again and was angry that I had taken time off of work. I maintained composure and rode the whole interview through still doing my best. But, if I were to encounter something like this again would it really be so bad to just excuse myself and say thanks for the interest but I'm not interested? Was there a better way for me to handle it without wasting too much of my time?
    I don't see it being disrespectful to tell them the job is not the type of job you are interested in, and you're not the correct fit. If they don't respect you for addressing it and not wasting their time, you probably don't want to work for them anyway.

I recently did the same at an interview in another field, and they appreciated the fact that I told them I was not interested in the given position.
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Wait, wasn't there a phone conversation prior to you showing up? That's when this should've been sorted out.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just keep your cool and be polite, but don't waste your time. You only get so many minutes on this earth, some more than others.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For both interviews phone conversation just consisted of an admin assistant coordinating interview time with me.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not at all, I'm assuming they would appreciate it. But since you're already there, I would probably would not do that and go through the interview. Just to practice my interviewing skills

I know I've been on interviews where I knew right away I didn't want the job, but kept going on like I did. Even went on a second interview at one place where I didn't want the job. I know it sounds like a waste of time, but I was kind of to the point where I just wanted to see if I could get it. I actually turned down 3 full-time job offers last year when I was job hunting. :P
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Wait, wasn't there a phone conversation prior to you showing up? That's when this should've been sorted out.

basically!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I once had a company contact me for a position and I asked what the duties entailed. They described it and it was for a web development position. I explained that I quite literally had no experience in web development and only had a couple courses on the subject. They were adamant that it was fine and I interviewed. It ended up being a contract position and they wanted a Drexel grad. Three weeks later they finally let me know that they hiring manager wouldn't sign off due to my lack of web development experience. I chalked it up to good interview experience and went about my business. I mean if the pay is good and you have a shot to move up to do what you want to do, it doesn't hurt to go through the interview.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don't know, my time is extremely valuable. Even back in my desktop support days I always asked for detail on the role before I even considered showing up. Although I've had to, I wouldn't hesitate politely stopping an interview if things are going south. If you have the luxury of time and see some value in sitting there, by all mean go through and finish it.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The way I look at it is, you should learn how to interview better on each interview you go to. You will get different questions on each one and it will prepare you better for the next one. I understand time is valuable for everyone. But the practice/experience you get on that interview for the job you don't want, might give you the extra edge and even be the reason you get the job you actually want. I feel it did for me. Being able to interview well is underrated skill when people are job hunting imo.
  • Options
    neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I walked out once but the interviewer was just as agitated with how blatantly clear I was over qualified that it didn't matter. The recruiter sold me the world but it turned out to be a L1 deskside job.