Options

Minor vs. Certifications

Jose243Jose243 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, this is my first post here and I would like to start off by saying this is a great community. I am glad I came across this site after looking for A+ certification resources, there is a lot of information on here and lots of great tips from the community. I hope to contribute some back as well!

Anyways, I will be completing my BS in IT this upcoming fall and I am stuck considering between two options: Do I spend the extra cash and get a minor or do I use that money for certification training and exams. I want to go graduate school for MIS (management info systems) and I think I minor in business or business analytics would help me out in that regard, but I am not sure it would carry any weight when looking for a job in my field. Certifications seem like the obvious choice if I want to supplement by undergrad degree and get a job now, but I don't think they would hold standing in a business school for MIS.

I currently have a job in the hospitality industry but it is not in the IT field. So I do have two years of business and hospitality experience in the field. I have had no luck getting an entry level support job as of now, but I will keep trying!

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say if you are planning on doing grad school and adding a minor will help you there then do it. You can add certs later. Many of the certs are good for ops based jobs but are not a golden ticket to employment in the field.

Best of Luck
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do the graduate MIS programs you are considering have any prereqs?

If you are looking for an entry level job in IT, certs may be more helpful then a graduate degree.

Do you plan to start the graduate program right after completing your BS, or do you plan to wait a couple of years?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    degree + certs = prime candidate for a interview/job

degree alone eh, you might get a interview (with no experience)
  • Options
    All of the MIS programs I am looking at Incorporate prereqs built into the program , so no background knowledge of business is necessaraly required but I'm sure it would help.

I want to do my masters now. It would be the easiest time to do so. I am only 20, so I'm in no rush but this is the time where I have the least of responsibilities.

I'm planing on getting my A+ this week when I pass the exam. And getting network+ before august so I can at least start a help desk or entry level technician job.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Serious question- is a minor EVER relevant? Not sure why you would need anything beyond a BS in IT or anything really.

Unsure any hiring manager is going to consider a minor to be a tipping point in the decision making process.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Minors can be relevant, but it falls down to a "it depends" situation. I've known people who have had degrees in a non-technology major and minored in IS. This allowed them to get a job after school (think Philosophy or Music Theory majors). On the other side, in government I often see postings where they want a certain degree or will take you if you have a number of credits in x field and this is where a minor would be essential.

As for the ops specific situation it truly depends on what you want to do in the end. If you think Analytics is where you want to be then do the minor because you won't find a ton of certs in that field. Otherwise, you would probably be better served by doing certs if you don't have a lot of experience.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^ (basically) this.

A minor is rarely a requirement (except some gov't positions). But a well placed minor may help you get into a specific industry (i.e. majoring in IS with minor in engineer could help for jobs with industrial companies).

In the long run I don't think it matters to much whether you choose certs or minor--it's the knowledge you acquire and it sounds like you're specifically targeting areas that you're interested in. So as long as you're expanding your knowledge I think a minor or certs would both set you up nicely.

That being said I would look at job postings in your area to see what the requirements/skills needed for positions you'd be interested in and start aligning your learning (minor or certs) with that. Good luck!
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A minor won't do much for IT. It's all about the degrees. Put that energy into the next degree or cert up.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Qualify that with what type and level of certification(s). You could probably study really hard and get through any number of certifications that could hurt your job search as well. Mid and later career certifications like the PMP or CISSP with no experience are dead giveaways.

CompTIA certifications would be appropriate as well as any number of Microsoft exams would also be useful. Minors are generally viewed as nice to have in most cases unless very specific. An old fashioned math minor with a CS degree could very much open doors going forward, particularly if your statistically inclined.

Look at what is going to make you money in a couple of years and don't chase what's hot today or you'll be seriously behind the curve the rest of your career.

- b/eads
  • Options
    Thank you for all of the advice and perspective guys. I think saving that money and energy for a couple more entry certs and for grad school would be more appropriate course of action. My two years of work experience in a general supervisory position should indicate some knowledge of business experience vs a minor that says I can do it. Grad school here we come!