Options

Hoping to get some insight....

marcj04marcj04 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I have been toying with some ideas about my future. So originally, I had dreams of becoming a Naval Officer. I was hoping to go to college at the Naval Academy but that didn't pan through. Well I am in my final years of college and I have been contemplating on pursuing my dream and going to OCS. It really didn't cross my mind again until I was talking to a former Navy guy at my internship. Honestly, after not getting into the Naval Academy, I had just planned on finishing college and working as a Network Engineer. And continuing my education and certs.

Ever since talking with him, it has really got me thinking again about applying for OCS and becoming a Naval Officer. The only thing is that I want to be able to still develop Networking skills that will help me land a job and still be a successful Network Engineer once out of the Navy. I don't want to be in the Navy for 20 years and then have to take a Help Desk job that isn't paying that great when I could have been working for 20 years, developing skills and making much more than that.

I know I shouldn't want to join the Navy for the pay but I really want to be successful and make a pretty decent amount of money. I know I can do that if I decide to work straight out of college and start building experience. I guess my real question is, Do you guys think I can somehow become an officer in the Navy while still developing my Networking skills so that when I am out, I can still apply for Network Engineering positions?

Thanks

Comments