Options

Best starting certs for a Jr. Sysadmin?

techMLtechML Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty much a Jr. Sysadmin/helpdesk. I deal with user issues, but also have access to servers. Exchange, AD, group policy stuff, ect. I even am going to be a lead on McAfee ePO since my team will be handling that for the new client. My question is, I'd like to try and get my first certification. What's the best "starting" cert for someone trying to eventually be a Sr. Sysadmin?

Comments

• Options
    DyasisDyasis Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you want to be a sys admin or something else? if you want to be a sys admin, start with MCSA and go from there
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MCSA, whether it be Windows 7, Windows 8, Server 2008 R2, or Server 2012 R2.

Some will suggest that you skip the desktop cert and go straight for the server cert, but I personally found it beneficial to pursue both. All of them cover Server technologies pretty extensively.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE
    Is it more beneficial to start with an MCTS? Or just go for the MCSA?
  • Options
    From what I understand, the MCTS and MCITP certs have been retired or are in the process of being retired. Microsoft has moved away from the MCTS and MCITP acronyms and are now using the MCSA and MCSE.

If you are familiar enough with the technologies, I recommend beginning with the MCSA: Windows 8 and MCSA: Server 2012 certifications. That's 5 exams total to obtain those two certs, so should keep you busy for quite some time.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE

Exam 70-640 isn't set to retire anytime soon. I just checked the website for confirmation.
  • Options
    The 70-640 exam is part of the newer MCSA: Server 2008 certification, so no, it wouldn't be retiring.

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-server-2008-certification.aspx

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    @srabiee is correct.

Also of note, the 70-640 is a beast of an exam and definitely one of if not the most difficult MS exam I have taken.

Also, you can get the MCSA Server 2008 and then take one more exam to get the MCSA Server 2012, so you can have both MCSA Server 2008 and Server 2012 in four exams. Two more will get you the MCSE for Server 2012, and then two more will get you the MCSE for Desktop.

Ask me how I know icon_wink.gif

(Hint: <
    )
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I would do MCSA Windows 7 (2 exams) or MCSA Windows 2012.
    You can also do MCSA Windows 8, however Windows 8 is not as mainstream as Windows 7 for business environment. Furthermore, I have doubts if it will ever be as mainstream as Windows 7. As far as desktop systems, most enterprises skip every other generation of client OS. Example XP, skipping vista, then Windows 7. I believe Windows 10 will be the next mainstream OS if it comes out alright.

Last part is CCENT/CCNA is always helpful for System Administrators to have. It blows my mind how many System Admins lack basic networking knowledge.
  • Options
    @=srabiee

Great, thanks!

@ GreaterNinja

Yeah, I might do the Server 2012 though. It's going to be a process though. I really suck at tests for some reason. I'll just take it one exam at a time.