Connecting Home Lab to home network

jebrown21jebrown21 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone. I'll be starting my CCNA journey in the next week or so and had a question.

So I have made the purchases on ebay to make up my home lab and currently being shipped to me (yay).

My home lab consists of...

1x AS2509-RJ
3x 2811 Routers
3x 3560-TS Switch
1x PDU

I've read a lot that a person shouldn't connect their home lab to their home network. I do a lot of my studying at work when I have free time (which is a lot). I bought the access server in hopes to telnet into my home lab and do labs from work (and to save the headache of dealing with console ports repeatedly).

The question is, is there any harm connecting my home lab to my wireless router so I am able to telnet into it from work?

I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question, but figured I would ask since work is a large portion of my study time.

Thanks!

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No it's not an issue. Some people make their lab their home network because if you mess up you have to troubleshoot. I would ssh in not telnet but there isn't any actual harm.
  • jebrown21jebrown21 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    On the AS2509-RJ, it mentions that its remote management protocols available are SNMP and telnet, would SSH be an option?
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I don't think it would make too much of a difference and would allow for remote configuration. However, if you want to be on the safe side you could always make sure your lab is working on a different subnet to your home network...That may work?
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My lab is connected to my home network. I have an ASA 5505 sitting between my home and lab networks. I set up SSL VPN (SSL VPN is on the Security track) on the ASA so that I can connect from almost (I blacklisted all IPv4 and IPv6 ranges assigned to APNIC) anywhere. If you don't use a VPN (IPsec or SSL), then you'll want to make sure you use secure protocols (SSH rather than Telnet) and strong passwords.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I used to have it on my home network. Router has a static out to the internet, rest internal was testing, labing home use. My home network still runs this way but now is more compact, tidy, and virtualized.