Job dilemma?

5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
How many of you would quit your job and work in another completely different industry for the same pay, or a little more?

-I was offered a position in a completely different industry and I am thinking that I have no loyalty to IT at this point lol.

-I am just curious on how many people really love IT, or its just a job that pays the bills.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you think it's something you'll enjoy more then by all means go for it. If I found something I enjoyed more than IT then I'd do it, but I haven't found that as I enjoy what I do.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    If the job was interesting. Sure.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I liked it more and had a job opportunity where the growth potential was high I would. I always wanted to be a pro golfer... Can't really think of too many other jobs I wouldn't mind doing though.
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it was something I liked or could see myself doing, then I'd do it. I like IT, but I can see myself doing other things too. Loyalty, what's this word you speak of lol. IT will always be there for you if you decide to go back.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've spent my entire life on computers, I would not have the first idea what I would do instead.

The thought in fact, frightens me because I make good money in IT and I wouldn't if I just started a new career tomorrow.

So no, I'm staying in IT :)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It really depends on other position. If it aligned "enough" with my skill sets I would get the hell out. I already have to a certain degree, but I always want to keep one foot in technology.

I tried becoming a project manager for the parks and recreational services. I didn't get it but that would of been great.
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would probably bail for something like urban design / planning. Other then that, IT is the way to go. It's physically easy, pays well and I like the people.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'd get the hell out if I could switch over to being a real estate broker or broker associate and make the same money on day 1. Unfortunately that's not the case, so for now my brokers license will go unused.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would only if the job was travelling the world or if i could work in european football as a manager

Let me clarify if the job had me travelling to see exotic places in the world, like reviewing hotels and food etc
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I love doing IT. Now, if I could split my time 50/50 between IT and something hands on (cabinetry, turning wrenches in 4WD shop, etc) I'd do it without a second thought. Otherwise, I'll stick with what I'm doing
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ JoJo I paid the 50 dollars to put it in hold status as well. :)
  • f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    If it is something that has always interested you and you would not likely get the chance again I would take the job. Worst case scenario you can return to IT if something does not pan out. I would jump at an opportunity to leave my job at the MSP I work at. I like the higher pay than my previous job but I have no joy in work at all. Once again I would kill the cat and see what the opportunity has in store for you. No loyalty to IT, only to my family's well being.
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]