Options

Tips for my new job as desktop support

ProFamousProFamous Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, after getting my A+ cert and a month of applying, I finally got my first IT job at a mom and pop computer repair business. I start tomorrow and I'm just looking for any tips. If you have worked at a computer shop or have before, let me know the ins and outs and what to do and what not to do. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't worked at a mom and pop repair place, but I have done a lot of desktop support. I would say utilize your downtime is the number one thing if you want to progress. I see guys that just sit and browse Youtube all day and don't really study for anything. Those kinds of people get passed up and they don't move up very far. Try to have a cert that you're always working towards or get your BS IT as that is almost necessary now days.
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    markulous has a great point! And don't be afraid to experiment and apply the things that you're learning as you work. Don't be afraid of being wrong or missing something. Just learn as much as you can. You'll make yourself more valuable to the folks that gave you the chance! Good luck!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    keep it all business (since this a mom & pop especially).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    When rebuilding the OS on a machine always triple-check you are formatting the C drive, NOT D, E or other drives. You can thank me later.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Along the lines of Cyberguypr's statement. Before formatting a drive ensure you have backup up all of their data. Check obscure places like the root of the C drive for unique folders. If they have Outlook installed going into their AppData directory and grab the PST for Outlook.

If you remove a virus from a machine make sure to disable system restore and then re-enable it if they had it on. Nothing like a customer restoring a virus to their machine!

Expect to find a lot of adult material, don't be offended by it. I always provided a list of alternative less virus prone websites for them to use.

Keep it professional, never speak about what you find on a customers computer, unless you find something to do with abusing children, animals, etc. Then call the cops and turn their ass in.

If you ever have to go to a customer's home, stop at a gas station and use their bathroom.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    Expect to find a lot of adult material, don't be offended by it. I always provided a list of alternative less virus prone websites for them to use.

You provided them list of alternative adult websites? Lol
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    You provided them list of alternative adult websites? Lol

Of course I do. It generates a lot of referral work.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    ProFamousProFamous Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @shdwmage I'm laughin my butt off over here lol. But anyways thanks for the tips guys. It's actually just me and the owner, two of us, so I expect him to show me what he wants. Learning is always good, I'll do that if i have time. Thanks yall.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Since you are working at a computer repair shop, learn to focus even more on customer service and soft skills. People are looking for getting their problems resolved but also expert service. If you can wow your customers in more ways than one, they will come back and your business will grow.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    TechxWizardTechxWizard Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you back up data before formatting anything.
    Don't copy any nude photos you find on customer computers.
    Smile and always listen to the customers needs, fix the problem
    the first time to avoid having the customer take multiple trips.

and lastly.... ALWAYS follow up with your customers. people want to know going on with their computer. don't leave them in the dark
    I know from 5 year experience working for office depot new owner ;)
  • Options
    cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    for mom and pops.....hmmm...I cant say for certain in that environment as I've spent most of my desktop years in enterprise and only a little in mom/pops/residential sector......I can say your soft skills are just as important, if not more important than your technical skills.....In DS...a lot of your job is about how people feel about you as opposed to what you do...

I also think the key to this, as with any part of IT is passion and patience..........Those two attributes will take you a long way.....Dont be a "8 & hit the Gate" guy.....When you go home....read...study...experiment......practice etc

One thing I do know, there is a lot of room for tips in the residential sector.......icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you back up data before formatting anything.
    Don't copy any nude photos you find on customer computers.
    Smile and always listen to the customers needs, fix the problem
    the first time to avoid having the customer take multiple trips.

and lastly.... ALWAYS follow up with your customers. people want to know going on with their computer. don't leave them in the dark
    I know from 5 year experience working for office depot new owner ;)

That too......very important.
  • Options
    bmnaughtbmnaught Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get experience and jump