Options

Software iSCSI Adapter - Network Port Binding

Varez ITVarez IT Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently trying to bind a VMkernel adapter on a standard vSwitch in VMware ESXi 5.5 to a software iSCSI adapter but for some reason it will not work. It is getting late here so I may be brain fried but here is what I have done.

1. Created a VMkernel adapter on the VMware ESXi 5.5 host.
2. Enabled the software iSCSI Initiator on the VMware ESXi 5.5 host.
2. When I click the green plus icon to add a VMkernel adapter to the software iSCSI initiator the list is empty.

What am I missing?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    did you add the static/dynamic address of the IQN?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Follow this article.

Do your hosts see the iSCSI array at all?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Your standard switch has two or more uplinks. You need to override the adapter binding on that VMK port and bind it to just one uplink adapter.
  • Options
    Deathmage, yes, the IQN has been added to the software iSCSI initiator.

Essendon, what a great article! Thank you for providing that but I have followed those steps with the exception that I have added (2) vmnics to the vSwitch.

With that being said, I believe that joelsfood is correct. I won't be able to totally confirm this until I get home later.

This configuration is for a lab and I have configured the software iSCSI initiator on multiple occasions so I was confused why it wasn't working last night. I do remember that last time I only had (1) vmnic bound to the vSwitch. I was also brain fried last night after hours of study so I didn't even think of that. I'm also going to change the configuration and use a dvSwtich (after I confirm the vSwitch with a single vmnic).

You gentlemen have been very helpful! I'll let you know what I find tonight.
  • Options
    it might be possible that nothing changed on the VMware side. If this is a home-lab is your iSCSI network on a physical switch and/or NAS/SAN? - if this is a yes, I know it happens to me, check the obvious like cables and the iSCSI switch make sure the configs are correct, switches powered-on, and cable connected properly it might be a layer 1 issue and not a layer 7.

if it's a NAS or similar device make sure permissions are working correctly and folder/lun shares are accessible from your storage device. I'd simply plug in your laptop and ping all of the IP's I could on the iSCSI fabric to verify it's not a layer 1-2 error then you can with a certain level of confidence remove networking as the cause.
  • Options
    Deathmage,

Thank you for providing that information but this is a nested virtualization configuration with VMware Workstation 10.
  • Options
    hmmm... I never did a nested, I went the complete lab approach.
  • Options
    Deathmage,

Yes, I would have preferred the complete lab approach but I went with nested.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Okay then, check this:

- the vmk adapter you added, did you associate one and only one uplink to it? If you havent, give it one active uplink and move the others to unused.
    - does the switch have uplinks at all?

Basically, just elaborated a little on what Joel said.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon,

Originally, the VMkernel adapter had two uplinks associated with it. I reconfigured it with one active and the rest unused and that resolved the issue. I was able to test that configuration with a vSwitch and dvSwitch.

Although this was a simple fix it was certainly a good learning experience.

Thank you all for your assistance!
  • Options
    Varez IT wrote: »
    Essendon,

Originally, the VMkernel adapter had two uplinks associated with it. I reconfigured it with one active and the rest unused and that resolved the issue. I was able to test that configuration with a vSwitch and dvSwitch.

Although this was a simple fix it was certainly a good learning experience.

Thank you all for your assistance!

Two or more uplinks would only work in IP hash mode for a bonded/teamed connection. If you used two uplinks at the same time you essential cause a broadcast storm since I'm pretty sure in a nested world you can't enable Spanning-Tree Protocol. If it was a physical connection on say a Cisco switch I bet it would have worked because STP would have kicked in and blocked one of the port automatically. A two uplink scenario is good for fault tolerance but without STP it can cause problems.

I'm sure some would correct me if I'm wrong but from a networking perspective that's what it sounds like happened.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not an issue of STP (multiple uplinks without LACP, the host uses mac pinning to bind flows to uplinks, avoiding mac flapping, etc). It's actually a limitation of the software iSCSI adapter that it will only let you bind to vmk with a single uplink.