Options

How Do I Get My Foot In The Door?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
After the military, I'm thinking about getting a degree in Information Technology at either a university or ECPI, I plan on getting Cisco certs too.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You just made a statement to the whole Tech Exams forum! Now just go and realize your plan. We will be watching you! We want a post detailing the progress on a monthly basis. Start with the Network+ or CCENT and CCNA certs and you will get the right foot in the door. But as i mentioned you have to report back on a monthly basis.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why wait until after the military? I had zero college credits before enlisting, started college in 2013 and am about to finish my degree at WGU early next year. Also had no certs, now have the ones under my name along with a few others, taking CEH next month, then CCNA & CCNA Security before Jan 1st. I start transition leave in 3 months, accomplished quite a bit in my 5.5 years but could have done twice as much had I put forth the effort.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doesn't your GI Bill cover WGU completely, considering it's a school you might want to go to?
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Getting your foot in the door means
    -apply for entry level jobs
    -internship
    -you know somebody
    -get lucky
    -blow them away after somehow getting an interview

For me it was an unpaid 3 month internship
  • Options
    Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Start using your Tuition Assistance while you still have access to it. It can help you use your GI Bill much more efficiently.
  • Options
    SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
    Thanks for the response guys, I wont be going to WGU, probably Central Texas College. Heres an outline of it's online Computer Science (Information Technology) program:

Information Technology (CSI15)110201Associate of Applied Science DegreeThe primary job function of the Information Managementprofessional is to assist others with using computer technologyin the performance of their jobs. This requires a generalknowledge of PC hardware and software, to include operatingsystems and applications such as word processors andspreadsheets, and the internet. This degree offers a clear pathto understanding computers and today’s technology.

First YearFirst Semester CreditCOSC 1301 Introduction to Computing 3ITSC 1309 Integrated Software Applications I 3ITSC 1325 Personal Computer Hardware (CompTIA A+) 3ENGL 1301 Composition I 3MATH 1414 College Algebra 4
    Second SemesterITSC 1405 Introduction to PC Operating Systems 4ITSC 1415 Project Management Software 4ITNW 1358 Network+ (CompTIA Network+) 3MATH 2412 Pre-calculus Math 4
    Second YearFirst SemesterITSY 1342 Information Technology Security (CompTIA Security+) 3ITSY 2442 Incident Response and Handling 4ITNW 1337 Introduction to the Internet 3ITSE 1329 Programming Logic and Design 3
    Second SemesterITSE 1302 Computer Programming (Visual Basic) 3ITSW 1307 Introduction to Database 3ELEC PHIL 2306 or PHIL 2307 3ELEC PSYC 2301 or PSYC 2315 3ITSC 2439 Personal Computer Help Desk Support 4orITSC 2486 Internship – Computer and Information Sciences, GeneralTotal Hours 60
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    if you have zero experience, I recommend a Service Desk. My experience there was very valuable to my growth as a professional.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    bmnaughtbmnaught Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try volunteering or interning to get experience
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A suggestion I might add is maybe considering contract work to get you started. It helped me immensely in the beginning as I gained a ton of experience and I was exposed to many different types of companies and environments. It also helped me find out what roles I enjoyed and working with a diversity of people of different backgrounds also expanded my soft skills...
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63