Options

Leaving an IT centric company for a non-IT company?

jdarch82jdarch82 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

Recently I was presented with a great job offer that would yield a great pay increase along with some other nice perks. I've had some pause though because I would be leaving a very strong Healthcare IT company for a Bio-pharma company (sys admin type roles at both).

My question is - is it ever smart to move on from a company that is focused on IT to one where IT is just one of many parts of the business? This has given me some pause, as I've never worked at a company where the primary business was not IT.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I went from a telco (heavy IT focus of course) to a bank that doesn't care about IT, but was scared into caring about security. :D

Great move for me!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Last year I left an IT company for a way better position on a healthcare company.
    I don't know about you, but I was way more motivated and felt more important on the IT company.
  • Options
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I was way more motivated and felt more important on the IT company.

I feel more important now because there are less people here with my skills. If you were Cisco certified at my previous employer, join the club. A lot less tech savvy where I work now because most positions are banking focused.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it really depends on how much they care about IT and how their general outlook is. You should be able to get a decent judgement by the hardware they have, company goals during an interview and if the IT employees seem happy and knowledgeable.

When I was interviewing for help desk\desktop support positions there were a couple IT companies that didn't have the greatest hardware and seemed like IT employees were there just to earn a paycheck, relatively boring environment. OTOH there was an architecture company that was very forward-looking with state of the art equipment and the IT guys were very happy.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    E Double U wrote: »
    I feel more important now because there are less people here with my skills. If you were Cisco certified at my previous employer, join the club. A lot less tech savvy where I work now because most positions are banking focused.

That's the point: my skills quickly got under-used, and in about 4 months I got bored. Making money, but bored.
  • Options
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    That's the point: my skills quickly got under-used, and in about 4 months I got bored. Making money, but bored.

That sucks! I lucked up having a CISO that made me responsible for lots of tools and is big on sending the team to training. When I don't have anything to do I can study. That was difficult at the telco because it seemed like I was working nonstop.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    techfiend wrote: »
    I think it really depends on how much they care about IT and how their general outlook is.
    I absolutely agree. I personally prefer to work for a business that uses technology to run their business or some product thereof. I find it a lot more exciting and interesting. I have predominately worked in financial services where technology plays a big role. And because I understand the business, my technology skills are valued more.
  • Options
    blinkme323blinkme323 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It all depends on the emphasis that the company puts on IT. I've seen some IT companies that have really crappy technology and views and non-IT companies that are the complete opposite. So you really can't pigeonhole anyone based on industry.
  • Options
    jdarch82jdarch82 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    I think it really depends on how much they care about IT and how their general outlook is. You should be able to get a decent judgement by the hardware they have, company goals during an interview and if the IT employees seem happy and knowledgeable.

When I was interviewing for help desk\desktop support positions there were a couple IT companies that didn't have the greatest hardware and seemed like IT employees were there just to earn a paycheck, relatively boring environment. OTOH there was an architecture company that was very forward-looking with state of the art equipment and the IT guys were very happy.

The company I interviewed with seems to place a pretty heavy emphasis on IT - they host their own data center, fully up on Server 2012, etc. So that all sounds good.