Options

Subnetting occurences in the real world

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
I recently started studying CCENT again and forgot how much I loved subnetting. It's the thing that interests me so much in networking. However I can't imagine it's used all that often in the real world. For those that work with networks every day is subnetting something you use regularly? Is it mainly network engineering or network architect responsibility?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    I use it almost everyday. Activating a new site (advertising on our routing protocol), firewall statements, ACL, QoS, etc.

Even if you are not responsible for the definition of new addressing space, you have to deal with it often in the operation side.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work for a MSP so I mainly do a lot of systems and desktop stuff, but it's usually all /24 it seems like.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you work with routing etc a lot then maybe, else most places just use a /24 for each vlan..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Corporate life for me.

I use it all the time as well. A lot for firewall rules more than anything or summarize things on the nexus.
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    Uh, yes I do use it every day and probably have every day for the last 15 years. I don't think you could have an enterprise network that isn't subnetted...
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working in a NOC, /30 is popular, customer having the even number.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can see it in firewalls but are those mainly (extended) ACL's? In what tasks do you subnet as a network engineer for an enterprise? I can see when adding clients but I wouldn't think that would be an every day thing. Troubleshooting?

At our little place we use /24 for lan, /30 for a few wan links.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah pretty much, I use it too. Sometimes I have to validate customer ip addressing scheme.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You'll be working with network masks a lot, but you get used to it after a while and it's second nature. Not like the days you have to break out a pencil and paper and draw ones and zeros in the begging anyway. If I do anything even remotely complicated I use a calculator anyway to ensure 100% accuracy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    My network lead subnets and supernets all the networks. It keeps things interesting for sure.