Options

Requirements Inflation Is Making Jobs Harder to Fill - See more at: http://www.greenk

Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
Check out this article a very interesting read on the "skills gap". http://www.greenkeyllc.com/blog/requirements-inflation-making-jobs-harder-fill/

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since I'm like a week out from graduating, I'm good with this. :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    This kind of puts me off - "60-70% of job postings insist on a four-year degree." Are they basing their research on what a job ad says or what the company actually cares about? Because pretty much every job ad I've ever got a job from "required" a degree even though I don't have one. Seems it leaves enough room for error to make their numbers useless in my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds more like an advertisement for their services than anything else icon_rolleyes.gif
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Real world:

Specialized experience in exact role being hired > Overall experience in IT > Relevant certifications to the role being hired > IT degree > Degree in Underwater Basket-Weaving

In that order.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    renacido wrote: »
    Degree in Underwater Basket-Weaving
    So what you're saying is, I still have a chance with my BSci in Submarine Container Interlacing?
  • Options
    HippodromeHippodrome Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good to hear as I just got my SCI.
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll be honest. While everyone is joking, the fact is these job postings are often inflated and it does discourage applicants who can do the job but aren't on paper qualified. One of the best new guys at my job was not on paper qualified, former infantry, no IT experience but in an IT Sec degree, and a few certs is more driven and passionate than most of the others.

There is a benefit to hiring an under qualified candidate you can train and pay a little less for a while rather than spending 6 months waiting on a candidate who may never show up and then you are left to seek out some H1B applicant.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    Well if we have to be serious again, what you are saying about hiring people that are driven but with no exp or certs is a talent that most recruiters/headhunters do not posses. Without this skill they rely too heavily on the certs or degrees.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hippodrome wrote: »
    people that are driven but with no exp or certs

How driven can they be if they don't try to get certifications in the field they are in and no exp....lol
  • Options
    ^proving my point.