Options

Which route do i take?

samuel235235235samuel235235235 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there guys and girls! First of all i would like to apologize and welcome a MOD to move my post if I'm posting this is the wrong area.

I currently sit here with the following qualifications:

MCP, MCDST, CompTIA A+ and Network+.

I'm looking through my MCP area and find that i am 1 exam (682) off gaining my MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration cert which then would leave me 1 exam (685) off upgrading to MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician. Or do i skip these and take 2 exams (688 or 688-OP AND 687 or 687-OP) to get MCSA: Windows 8 or even just go straight to MCSA: Server 2012?

Am i asking a question to which an answer to give is impossible and based upon personal preference or could someone give me some sort of insight to the best route to go for me would be? If it matters for any reason, i do not work in IT still, never have done, just maintained a home network with various Raspberry Pi's as media receivers, i have a dell rack server running VMWare on for Virtual Machines (which I'm currently running a Windows Server 2008 R2 as a file server, soon to implement a domain controller too). Any information that you could give would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,
Sam.
[Currently Studying : MCSA: Server 2012/MCSA: Windows 8]
[Currently Reading: ]
[Current Qualifications: MCP, MCDST, A+, Network+]

Comments

• Options
    themanwholaughsthemanwholaughs Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would take the Windows 7 Route as in the MCTS: Configuring Windows 7 aka 70-680 or you can take the 70-687 but you need to keep in mind that it will be exam expired in 30th of November 2015 if you want the link here it is regarding it and you select Windows on the field https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-nz/retired-certification-exams.aspx

Another thing to point out is that Windows 7 has more of a market share 60.98% according to this website and windows 8 has 2.90% https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Companys I have done work for use Windows 7 mainly so I would go with learning 70-680 and using how to use Server OS's like Windows Server 2008 or 2012 etc. Im planning to go for MCSA: Server 2012 soon actually just need to start training. A good foundation is what you need to get ahead in this industry and you need the certs which will get you there.

I hope my opinion helps you. Note: when studying for 70-680 make sure you learn the books and do the questions at the end of them, make note and look online for any help that you need for study and use the forum as well search on windows 7 section of the forums and use videos that are good I used professor messer and I wish you luck on your study going forward.