Are CISSPs getting just about $38-$45 an hour now a days

lukingluking Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was browsing through some job ads on indeed and noticed a few jobs in Toronto area paying the above mentioned rate.
Isn't it too low?

Comments

• TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    I don't know about Canada with regard to CISSPs per sq/km but it's quite sought after.... Well good ones can pick and choose their roles. I work with dozens of them - all very different and some have forgotten more than I will ever know!

I'm doing SSCP next week and hope to do CISSP in 2016/17 when I have gained more experience.

People earn that hourly in infosec without CISSP btw... But like I say, I don't know about Canada specifically!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I mean the CISSP isn't an end all certification. For instance you have Project Managers and Security Training Awareness people who have the certification. It's all about the area of security (compliance, etc), the company, and industry are all factors that go into how much one makes.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I would hope that is on the low end
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    79k-93K a year for someone with 5 years of InfoSec experience is low to you? How hard do you think the test is? It doesn't turn you into an InfoSec god, most of my experience is in Policy and Cyptography and I cant find a civilian job that pays anywhere near that with my particular experience (Unless I go DOD and im done with DOD). I'm looking at about 60k/yr for an analyst position right now assuming they want to wait for me to get out and im ecstatic about it.
    Robertf969 wrote: »
    79k-93K a year for someone with 5 years of InfoSec experience is low to you? How hard do you think the test is? It doesn't turn you into an InfoSec god, most of my experience is in Policy and Cyptography and I cant find a civilian job that pays anywhere near that with my particular experience (Unless I go DOD and im done with DOD). I'm looking at about 60k/yr for an analyst position right now assuming they want to wait for me to get out and im ecstatic about it.

I'm not DoD, and I have zero InfoSec experience, but I make more than that now, without a CISSP. I was hoping getting a CISSP and a year or two of experience would put me over 100k
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Experience > CISSP. Since you have already have diverse experience I doubt it helps you at all other than maybe getting you more calls back when you look for your next position. I'm assuming you work with firewalls, account provisioning, policy (thats all InfoSec according to ISC2). If you truly have Zero InfoSec experience don't even bother taking the test, you need 4 years and a degree to get endorsed.
    I'm assuming you work with firewalls, account provisioning, policy (thats all InfoSec according to ISC2). If you truly have Zero InfoSec experience don't even bother taking the test, you need 4 years and a degree to get endorsed.

I work in Telecommunications at the moment, but I'm switching over to InfoSec. I do have a Bachelors and a Masters, but my Master's was just completed, so it has no impact on my current wage.

I have no idea what Hawaii pays, but I know in my area, which I do not think is above average, 100k is pretty attainable.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Hawaii has one of the Highest cost of livings in the US, and also typically pays about 30% less (I guess everyone wants to live here). I'm relocating to Arizona. I think 100k is very attainable anywhere in InfoSec but simply getting a CISSP doesn't get you 100k. Experience is key.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't get out of bed for $38 an hour!!!:D
  • lukingluking Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My situation exactly. I already make 75 k and one of the main motivation to try Cissp is to get close to 100k.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Really depends on what is backing you CISSP, experience wise. A senior level engineer, architect or manager with 10 plus years of actual information security experience is turning down work at 60 an hour - or should be depending on the market location.

-b/eads
    Thanks for clarifying for me beads, doing InfoSec related work qualifies you for the credential but that doesn't necessarily mean you are qualified for 100k. Unless of course Crypto Managers and C&A junkies are making 60 bucks an hour, in which case I am not looking in the right locations. Hence why I am still looking to take a Jr. Analyst position even though I have the credential.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    its about $42 for me, 3 month cissp holder, 3 months in a new position, 5 years in infosec.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for clarifying for me beads, doing InfoSec related work qualifies you for the credential but that doesn't necessarily mean you are qualified for 100k. Unless of course Crypto Managers and C&A junkies are making 60 bucks an hour, in which case I am not looking in the right locations. Hence why I am still looking to take a Jr. Analyst position even though I have the credential.

Just being fair about the market from an insider perspective. Its Tuesday I haven't had an active resume out there in years but on my seventh call today, my VM is full and the battery - empty. Charging now.

No, I would NOT be perfect for your role..!

- b/eads
  • Arnie335Arnie335 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    $38 an hour is definitely on the low side for SoCal. Jump on Dice and see what the average rate is in your area. Every InfoSec job posting I've seen is paying 95k a year minimum and as high as 145k, DOE.

Don't underestimate yourself or the need for security.
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on location. Experience IS key. I know someone who is an (ISC)2 associate (CISSP without the experience) making $25 an hour at a Navy help desk, and an Army Reservist Lieutenant, with a Brick and mortar bachelor's degree in computer science, but he has no experience. I've been at this for 15 years, and am well NORTH of $200k. It's about the experience and where your experience lies, how hard you're willing to work, and whether or not you're willing to work alongside someone like b/eads without throttling him every day. *Sigh* For every one of me, there are five B/eads. The scoffing, smart, arrogant, introverted IT guys who went down the security path. They get really mad when someone personable like me comes around and motivates people with my infectious optimism, charm and wit. :)
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Not too low, it's about the salary you are looking at in Toronto for a mid-level position.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
    kalkan999 wrote: »
    Depends on location. Experience IS key. I know someone who is an (ISC)2 associate (CISSP without the experience) making $25 an hour at a Navy help desk, and an Army Reservist Lieutenant, with a Brick and mortar bachelor's degree in computer science, but he has no experience. I've been at this for 15 years, and am well NORTH of $200k. It's about the experience and where your experience lies, how hard you're willing to work, and whether or not you're willing to work alongside someone like b/eads without throttling him every day. *Sigh* For every one of me, there are five B/eads. The scoffing, smart, arrogant, introverted IT guys who went down the security path. They get really mad when someone personable like me comes around and motivates people with my infectious optimism, charm and wit. :)

Beads is brutally Honest. People don't like that, I prefer it.
  • sponge2sponge2 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi luking,

The best answer to your question is "it depends".

The amount of money you will earn will depend on a lot of factors like:
    1) Demand in your geographic area.
    2) Your education and certifications
    3) Your experience and professional network.
    4) Type of work involved.

A good professional network will ensure that you are in the know about opportunities even before they get posted anywhere.

Hope this helps.