Options

Server + or Security + Next?

cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
I passed A+, Will pass Network Plus this Friday or Next.

My question:
1) Compare difficulty of Security+ to Sever+
2) Which so you recommend after A+ Network+

I plan to do both, but how about some feedback from people who already had these as to which to take next? This way I can purchase my study materials and have them ready to go when I finish my Network+.

Thank you for your input,
Cheers
Dan
To protect and to serve(r)...

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I don't have them but I also plan on getting both and I am interested to hear the responses.

I am going for the security+ first myself. I think that it will be worth more to me right now and I am interested in learning more about security.
  • Options
    indubasuindubasu Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am appearing for the Network+ next week and after that I am going to study for the Security+. This site has a wealth of resources...
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    I agree. The security+ is the way to go. I think as long as you have some server knowledge, that the cert. is not necessary. Security is such a big issue these days, and high in demand.

icon_thumright.gif
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I'm starting to do a little study for the Sec+ now. In studies for Server+, you cover material, and the importance for Server security is stressed quite a bit, as well as disaster preparedness and recovery. At this point, it seems to me that the Security+ is the next exam in line after Server+.

To look at it another way, with CompTIA exams. which are vendor neutral, there seems to be a natural migration from A+ to Net+ to Server+ which gives you a background in most aspects of client, server, and network devices. The natural next step is security of this whole network model. This path is also a good prep for pursuing the Microsoft Systems Professional certifications, because you already have a good grasp of the overall subject.

This is, of course, my opinion, but it is based on a continuing 3 years of studying and testing and practice and actual work in support areas of an enterprise system.

Good luck on your choices!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Looks like some mixed thoughts on this.

I know I will be going for the server+ in the future but right now I am focusing on the security+, this one just seems to be more valuable.
  • Options
    Both are a must have. I am currently working on Server+ among other things right now. For All of you going on to Security+, I recommend the Syngress Security+ book (the big orange one). It worked for me! :D
  • Options
    I keep hearing good things about the Syngress book, I have decided that I will be picking it up after finsihing my other books. I'm thinking about a total of 5-6 weeks study time.
  • Options
    5-6 weeks study time for Security+? Better double it. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Oh I must add one note about the book. The Syngress book comes with a DVD taught by ::trumpets playing:: Rob Shimonski! For all of you who don't know who he is, his certifications look like alphabet soup. This guy knows what he is talking about. And it shows how tough CCIE is. This guy has like everything...except CCIE.
  • Options
    5-6 weeks study time for Security+? Better double it. icon_lol.gif

I know you are right about that.... I'm sure it can be done in 5-6 weeks, I hoep anyways because there is a certain amount of time I have where my Job will pay for the tests I'm going for and that time frame is rapidly appraoching an end.
  • Options
    mvastarellimvastarelli Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Both are a must have. I am currently working on Server+ among other things right now. For All of you going on to Security+, I recommend the Syngress Security+ book (the big orange one). It worked for me! :D

I second this recommendation. Also, the Exam Cram2 book is very good. I used them in conjunction with this website.
    CompTIA Tests: 220-301, 220-302, N10-003, SY0-101
    Microsoft Tests: 70-270, 70-271, 70-272, 70-536, 70-526, 70-502
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Of all the CompTIA exams I've taken, Security+ was definitely a considerable amount more difficult than the others (A+, and Network+). 5 to 6 weeks actually sounds reasonable if you have a decent amount of exposure to the test objectives. If you don't have exposure I'd say do a minimum of 2 months (try to get 10 to 12 hours per week in).

Good luck.
  • Options
    I also second the previous recommendation of Exam Cram! :D I am using them for HTI+
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    keatron wrote:
    Of all the CompTIA exams I've taken, Security+ was definitely a considerable amount more difficult than the others (A+, and Network+). 5 to 6 weeks actually sounds reasonable if you have a decent amount of exposure to the test objectives. If you don't have exposure I'd say do a minimum of 2 months (try to get 10 to 12 hours per week in).

Good luck.

We have the same thoughts on this exam. While it is still an entry level security exam, it is much harder than the other CompTia exams that I have taken.

I didn't look at the ExamCram 2 for the exam, but one book that I did look at was the Passport. I would not use that book by itself. I also used the Syngress book, which was good.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I used the ExamCram towards the end but I too started with one of the earlier Syngress editions.