Options

A bit of motivation - CCIE at age 19

wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I don't normally post stuff like this, but this story came across my LinkedIn feed, and it just seemed like something I had to share. This is a press release from the Cisco Learning Network about a 19 year old who progressed through the Cisco certification track and earned his CCIE at an amazing age of 19. If this guy can do it, so can I, and so can you.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/blogs/certifications/2015/05/22/ccna-age-13-ccnp-age-14-ccie-age-19-bam

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice! Congrats to him :)

There are days, more often than not, that I feel as though I won't even be able to pass my CCENT.

My test anxiety consumes me.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Failed his first attempt, not impressed... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jasiono- my feelings exactly!
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have come to the conclusion that some people just seem to win the genetic lottery. Some people win it in the looks department, some in athletics, and others in the realm of intelligence/IQ. C'est la vie.

Good for him though, damn impressive.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    srabiee wrote: »
    I have come to the conclusion that some people just seem to win the genetic lottery. Some people win it in the looks department, some in athletics, and others in the realm of intelligence/IQ. C'est la vie.

Good for him though, damn impressive.
    Well, Cisco guided him to success. Not trying to dishonor the kid, but when I read "they built a comprehensive plan where Jorge would be given access to a local Cisco data center and be paired with two dedicated mentors to help prepare him for the level of training that lay ahead" I wasn't quite as impressed. Still impressive that he took the initiative at age 13, though! I was playing Runescape at 13....
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is very impressive indeed, but it makes me wonder how he'll perform in the real world. At 19 he's already a CCIE so I wonder where he'll be starting his career? You know? Just makes me think....I always think of CCIE as a mixture of studying/real world experience, but this kid proved me wrong!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    no!all! wrote: »
    This is very impressive indeed, but it makes me wonder how he'll perform in the real world. At 19 he's already a CCIE so I wonder where he'll be starting his career? You know? Just makes me think....I always think of CCIE as a mixture of studying/real world experience, but this kid proved me wrong!

He did get real world experience after failing the exam for a 2nd time:

"And so, with dedication and maturity far beyond his 17 years, Jorge took a break and accepted a job at Citigroup in the IT department. This turn of events would indeed refocus him on the necessary preparation that could help his next attempt to pass the CCIE lab exam."

Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS