Passing Certs and Notifying Employer

Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
When you guys pass your certs do you let your employer know of each one that you passed?

Comments

• JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I frame that ***** up and hang it on my wall!

I let my manager know, simply because we have a good relationship. At this point, my job doesn't really benefit from the certs I have, but as soon as I pass my CCNA and CCNA Security I will notify them, as I'm attempting to get into the security side.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Depends on the organization.

This one I am currently in now would roll their eyes. They are more focused on delivery and actual work, not certifications.

However, I have been with some MSP's who require it and get excited when you pass.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to at my former job but it never really made much of difference. Might get a "good job" from time to time, but no raise or promotion as an immediate result. Nor did management seem to care all that much, even though the cert directly pertained to my job duties. (MCITP: EA, for example)

Like a lot of IT professionals, I discovered that in order to move up, a lot of times you have to update your resume and move out. (I would argue that this is the case the majority of the time, and have read several articles supporting this notion).

At any rate, good luck, and I hope that you receive the proper credit and attention that you deserve for being driven and progressing your career in this manner.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    If they are paying for it, yes I do notify.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ srabiee

I have as well. In fact on the big AM radio station here in St. Louis has a daily 15 minute work segment. They mentioned that the biggest gains were from moving companies, that is fact (and they had a lot of data to back it up). When looking at the performance of publically traded companies the spend way less dollars annual on raises and promotions.

Off memory in 2000 18% of the companies budget was allocated to employees merit increases. Now it's less than 5% (2014).

You see more higher starting salaries and bonuses, but 2% raises is trending at being the norm. If you get 4.5% (he said) you did very well.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless I think there's a really good chance it's going to get me a promotion (which isn't typical) then I usually don't say anything until they ask. While I love talking about certs and ways to study, I don't really brag. I toss the certs I get in the mail (unless it's a card because I can fit that in my wallet).
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I tend to get work to pay for mine, so they know mostly anyway. But I also make sure to let our contracts guy (who does all our partner paperwork, etc) know, as often certs I'm getting help fill our requirements for partner status. IE, I'm fulfilling our datacenter specialization for Cisco Gold partner status (or rather, each person can only fill one spot in the specialization, so I'm filling the top engineer spot)
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always notify my manager because he has to approve my expense report for reimbursement. :)

For the CISSP, I used our CISO for endorsement since he's a CISSP in good standing.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I've found employers don't really care unless it helps them helps them gain the upper hand (i.e. we have x amount of certified people in this technology) when bidding on contracts. It does help when layoffs...I mean "re-orgs" or "realignments" occur, they'll most likely look at keeping those who are certified in current technologies. When I pass an exam and let my boss know, he just sends me an email saying "Outstanding!". No reimbursement, no raise, no promotion....just a verbal pat on the back.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Verities wrote: »
    When I pass an exam and let my boss know, he just sends me an email saying "Outstanding!". No reimbursement, no raise, no promotion....just a verbal pat on the back.

Same here... it sucks. But I like to show my boss I'm working on learning more so I tell him right away. I figure if someone wants more responsibility they better show motivation!
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Current company No. They seem to care less.
    Previous company yes as they encouraged me to study and further myself.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My company prefers us to email in so they can add to our files.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    A couple of jobs ago I always let my manager know for the sole purpose that he freaked out and assumed you wanted to leave. It was hilarious.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I always let my manager know. Get some reimbursement or some paid training. I always have passed up my coworkers that can't be bothered to put in the time anyway.

If you are working for a place that doesn't value furthering education and skills you need to find a new job that does!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Depends on your employer. If it's required of you, and an accepted practice in your field, then yes. Otherwise hell no.

One other thing, if it's not accepted practice, say nothing. Most people are getting certs to either gain knowledge and/or move up the ladder (or on to another one). The less you say the better off.
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, don't see a reason to.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    if you work for a large company, they usually have an About You type page on their intranet where you can update your information. Most major certs can be added, and will go on your file
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I let my employer know of my CCENT, but there wasn't much feedback.

I bitched/moaned, and got them to start reimbursing certs, so now they know in advance what I'm taking and if I passed after the fact.

No one else in the department, to my knowledge, has passed a certification since I've been there.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    A couple of jobs ago I always let my manager know for the sole purpose that he freaked out and assumed you wanted to leave. It was hilarious.

I thought I was the only one who did stuff like this!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me