Options

How do you keep learning in your job?

Bchen2Bchen2 Banned Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Since IT requires you to keep learning always
how do you guys keep on learning in the IT Field?

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I only work projects and each time I engage in them I learn something new. That's why I am never worried about becoming stagnate or feel the need for certifications for validation. My skill list keeps going up!

Side note - I have been watching SQL videos at home and labbing a little. I really want to get good at one thing.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Home lab and self-study is definitely a great tool.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On the job experience, training, and self-study.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Day job, of course, where I try to keep my hands in any new projects/initiatives
    Self study (video, PEC labs, HOL, books, etc)
    Consulting
    Home lab
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    On the job work/projects. Training. Self study a lot.

(Self study you can learn a ton of things that give you the skills to do your job. What you can't simulate very easily is things going wrong on a large scale easily and how to fix those)
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    When work is slow or I'm not busy at home, I'll spin up a VM, install an OS and/or application I want to learn more about or are used in my place of work. Then I'll find an ebook on the technology and open up a One-Note file that syncs to one of my email addresses. I keep the ebook on the left side of my screen, with the VM on the right side, testing things that I'm reading about and take notes of commands mostly on my One-Note file (portable notes). I don't use training videos anymore...I just can't stay focused watching them.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    We have access to training videos and books. Also, on the job there is alot to learn as well..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Self study. Looking forward to get a job that challenges me, at least a little hahahaha
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is always a book and lab to learn. I set aside atleast 20 minutes morning and afternoon to work on skill of some sort. After awhile it becomes easier than when I was in college.

Got an interesting too at work to learn? My current, I have 20 some tools and not enough expertise to be an expert in all of them. My goal is to master all the tools at my disposal - I may never reach that goal but its fun trying!

- b/eads
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I learn by not working in a slow paced silo ed environment. I deal with so many different technologies on a daily basis that I have no choice but to keep learning in order to do my job. And the moment you think you know everything about the environment that you manage, software and operating systems start going end of life and you have to migrate to something newer. It's a never ending cycle but that's what I get paid for.
  • Options
    JimSweJimSwe Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Self study and labs at home. I never learn anything new at work.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Taking lead of issues that your not 100% on. Once your name is mentioned enough on the ticket, you become the go-to guy for it, and eventually your given time to troubleshoot it more thoroughly. Its a stressful way but you learn so fast.

Apart from that, general work experience, home study, and if you work in a good office with other Engineers, keep your eyes and ears open and soak it all up.
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    Show interest in what other employees and your boss are doing. Be aggressive when there are opportunities to learn ANYTHING new. Get involved in anything and everything you can!

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+